• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first 2.5 dollar Indian. Opinions please.

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I finally bought myself a 2 1/2 dollar gold Indian and i need to know what you all think.

I'm not sure if it is even the real deal or if i was taken.

From what Ive been able to view on the web it looks legitimate, but i have no way to know for sure. Hopefully that's where you can help me.

Please let me know what you think the coin looks like and where it may fall in grade-wise. This is one coin Ive always wanted and was afraid to jump in until this month. It may be cleaned or fake and chances are, i wouldn't know the difference.

I do plan to buy one each month or two until i get to the rarer years. It is a coin type i have always wanted to get into and now that things have turned around for the better, im excited to get going.

I paid around $245 for this coin and hopefully i didn't waste my money. If so its a cheaper lesson that some Ive put myself through buying things via the internet.

Thank you in advance for any tips and opinions.

Sincerely, Matt

25indian002.jpg

25indian003.jpg

25indian004.jpg

25indian005.jpg

25indian008.jpg

25indian010.jpg

25indian011.jpg

25indian012.jpg

25indian016.jpg

Looks genuine to me. AU50 I'd guess. Hairlines are a sign of cleaning.

I always confirm the weight and dimensions of raw gold pieces. Since it's a common date, that's usually enough for determining authenticity.

Yes it was Mark.

Why do you ask?

Due to the polishing?

More and more i seem to find the bad dealers, but i guess that why i got it relatively cheap.

Thanks to both of you for your time.

Sincerely, Matt

Who was the dealer ??

Yes it was Mark.

Why do you ask?

Due to the polishing?

More and more i seem to find the bad dealers, but i guess that why i got it relatively cheap.

Thanks to both of you for your time.

Sincerely, Matt

Matt, I think he is asking because he has had experiences with some of the notorious eBay sellers known for selling and/or misrepresenting inferior coins. Some sellers have such a bad reputation that if the coin was purchased from them, you can almost guarantee that the coin has issues including some that may not be readily available from the photographs.

I still remember my first $2.50 gold Indian, a common date 1926.

I was about 25 at the time and had just worked some crazy overtime. My favorite dealer at the time was Harold B Weitz in Pittsburgh. So I sent him a check and had my first gold coin a week later.

(He's still very much alive and still in business which is great to see.)

I had it certified by NGC years later and was quite happy to get an MS-62 grade.

It remains a special coin to me 35 years later.

PS - Matt, your coin looks real but may have been cleaned/polished.

Thanks everyone.

I brought it in to a local dealer and offered $185 cash or to trade me silver rounds for the coin. They sell them in jewelry so they wanted it as is and i got some nice rounds to put in the display case.

They noticed it was cleaned right away too but to them its still worth the money and i am happy with the rounds. They are all very nicely toned and will add nice color to the display they are in.

The dealer also took the time to show me what to look for in real verses fake Indians as he has seen many over the years. You gotta love dealers who take time to teach, much as many of you do here.

Now i just need silver to go back up $5 an ounce and im even! lol

Next time i buy a Indian, which will be very soon hopefully, ill ask here first to better my odds at getting one i will want to hold on to.

Have a great day and a happy new year.

Sincerely, Matt