• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1903p Morgan ... Looks cleaned and retoned - New Coin Pics

17 posts in this topic

New purchase - Not in hand yet, however, pictures looked to have a cleaned and retoned look OR perhaps sitting in one of those coin books know for toning the edges of coins. ( forgot name )

Your thoughts ... take a stab at grade if you want ...

119457.jpg.6084c530251b1449bd4731ff7f336a0e.jpg

119458.jpg.5bf719440769b70e93df5e70c9d399bb.jpg

pictures looked to have a cleaned and retoned look OR perhaps sitting in one of those coin books know for toning the edges of coins.

I'm not a detective. I do know one reason we learned not to clean coins, though. It's because of the dead look that imparts to the surface, and that's irreversible.

That surface still has life to it. That makes it OK by me. It looks to be PL, judging from the absence of noticeable flow lines. I'll go a technical MS64PL on it.

i think its natural. i also see a fingerprint on the reverse at 6oclock, which leads me to think the toning is natural and legit. im thinking the reverse looks more violet than red in hand.

also the pics look like scans so i'm sure it will look more different in person, and by looking at the luster in person or taking pics that show the luster, might better help determine if there was any cleaning

if i were to take a wild guess, i would say its a MS 63-64

i think its natural. i also see a fingerprint on the reverse at 6oclock, which leads me to think the toning is natural and legit. im thinking the reverse looks more violet than red in hand.

also the pics look like scans so i'm sure it will look more different in person, and by looking at the luster in person or taking pics that show the luster, might better help determine if there was any cleaning

if i were to take a wild guess, i would say its a MS 63-64

Actually the fingerprint leads me into thinking more of a book toning and the print is where he pushed into the book ... just thinking outloud :)

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by that coin. That picture looks like a flatbed scan, which hides luster. 1903 Morgans have a luster that usually more brilliant than frosty, and don't have contrast between the devices and fields on PL coins.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by that coin. That picture looks like a flatbed scan, which hides luster. 1903 Morgans have a luster that usually more brilliant than frosty, and don't have contrast between the devices and fields on PL coins.

Ditto!

Chris

I don't see anything wrong with the coin...just the image. I am very glad that so many collectors have trouble deciphering what a coin will look like in hand from images because it makes my searches on Ebay much easier lol

:acclaim:

I won't play the grade guessing game, because I know where you purchased this coin (don't want to be the spoiler) and I have to say that I have bought a couple things from that seller and have been pleasantly surprised.

I think the grade on the NGC holder is probably technically correct, and my guess is that the toning in hand will be VERY nice! Congrats on a nice new pick up. :) Can't wait to see proper pictures in hand, as this seller does use a scanner (as someone else pointed out!)

Cheater :)

I expect it to be better than pictured just curious on what the thinking was here .

(SPAM) that is why my old 1903 is in the marketplace.

The Coin is a NGC MS66

I don't see anything wrong with the coin...just the image. I am very glad that so many collectors have trouble deciphering what a coin will look like in hand from images because it makes my searches on Ebay much easier lol

Then how bout splainin how you missed this one!

Chris

Chris

It's a little too White for Shane (I think).

Chris

Are you implying that he's a racist?

Chris

Chris

Chris

He is correct too white....I am not a racist...I hate all coins equally :devil:

Chris

Chris

He is correct too white....I am not a racist...I hate all coins equally :devil:

Maybe not, but I expected that someone would fall for it.

Chris

You guys are totally out of control :)

New pictures of the coin in hand .. plastic has a lot of scratches so lighting is tough so as not to accentuate them. Coin in hand makes it look definitely not cleaned however the coin has some intesting metal flow lines ... tone is absolutely original and similar to my coin for sale MS65 in the market place ( SPAM)

differences between the 66 and the 65 are marginal to say the least ... maybe a little more definition to the hairline and breast feathering ... The cheek on the 65 has a small minute scratch where the 66 is flawless ...

Pictures of mine are so so as I hit my setup and moved it around last night but here they are anyway ...

119631.jpg.fb4022ba625bcf39b546b63417d72594.jpg

119632.jpg.c954664edb5fdc5b640a72c1fa298540.jpg

If by totally original toning you mean dipped and retoning after an improper rinse, then yes, that looks like original toning.

I still can't tell if the fields are polished or its semi-PL, but marks-wise the surfaces look quite clean.