• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the heck is this? **NEW PHOTOS ADDED 1/3/2012**

17 posts in this topic

Jim, that is a rattler - it predates the OGH. It is an authentic PCGS slab, one of their very first generations. I'll agree the pictures are terrible, but those slabs are usually in high demand. I'm guessing the coin looks a lot better in hand.

Actually, I just noticed, that is the dealer in town here. Those guys are usually pretty reliable (even if I don't care for his style, he's dismissive of anything that's not his, and always thinks whatever he's got is better than what you have).

Actually, I just noticed, that is the dealer in town here. Those guys are usually pretty reliable (even if I don't care for his style, he's dismissive of anything that's not his, and always thinks whatever he's got is better than what you have).

Shocking! I've never met a dealer with this attitude...no.....really....never....ever. meh

lol

jom

Well I made an offer for it, and after several back and fourths there was no deal to be made on this one. In my opinion, a lot nicer example of a proof IHC (from photos that is) in the same grade is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1883-P-1C-Indian-Head-Cent-NGC-PF-64-BN-Proof-/130618257793?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1e69747181

Anyway. Case closed.

I will tell you from in hand observation, the PCGS coin looks much nicer in hand than that other one appears in the pics. The PCGS coin is worth every bit of their asking price, and is a solid 64+ with smooth, glossy, brown fields.

I will tell you from in hand observation, the PCGS coin looks much nicer in hand than that other one appears in the pics. The PCGS coin is worth every bit of their asking price, and is a solid 64+ with smooth, glossy, brown fields.

That may be the case, and I appreciate the "in hand" advice....but seriously, this guy's eBay pictures are unforgivably horrible. He could take better photos with a phone.

In the description of the IHC there is this statement:

Though not officially documented, his daughter, (Longacre) Sara is believed to be the model.

Has anyone else ever heard of this factoid?

Though not officially documented, his daughter, (Longacre) Sara is believed to be the model.

Has anyone else ever heard of this factoid?

Yes, that story has been passed along in common numismatic folklore for at least decades. It is possible because almost all of Longacre's busts used the same portrait. The cent of 1859 used the same portrait as the gold dollar and double eagle of 1849 and at that time, 1849, his daughter Sarah was twenty three or twenty four years old. It has also been suggested that Longacre actually based his busts on a statue entitled Crouching Venus. I'm not sure which one they mean though as so far I have found references to at least four statues by that name.

Thanks for that info Conder, I was not aware of that...or was maybe told years ago and have since forgotten.

It's like the first turkey I ever shot...

Scared the heck out of everybody in the produce section,

It's fun getting old.

Rec'd today. It appears pretty much flawless and definitely all of a PF-64. It's tough (at least for me) to get a decent pic of it because it's on the dark side and the holder is very reflective. Holder has a lot of scratches, so anything that appears as a scratch is on the holder. What look like "specks" are from the holder, not the coin. Included free of charge is a little debris on the coin reverse ribbon that appears to be a cookie crumb.

I will try photos in the daylight tomorrow and post them if they are any better. But with the holder as scratched as it is, it may be tough.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg