• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878 CC Morgan

18 posts in this topic

I'm new at this. Too dirty? I wanted something natural looking. Thanks for grading.

Welcome! Dirty is natural. hm

Looks close to XF, VF35 or so. Buy from known sources, fakes are seen often on better dates like this one and yours is a touch "off-color".

I'll agree - looks like a nice, attractive VF coin. The dark grey look with a bit of dirt is original and appealing to knowledgeable collectors - you bought a very nice coin, and if you continue like that will have a great set.

Welcome to the forum!

This looks like a legitimate VAM-7 with the wide spaced CC. It also appears to have the raised lump on the first "S" of STATES and the "hook" on the top right of the "P" in PLURIBUS.

Chris

30 to 35 and when in doubt weigh the coin.fakes are generally a lot lighter. and a magnet works wonders in spotting fakes. the china fakes are 77% iron,22%nickle and less than 1% silver.just to give it some test color. oh i was curious so i sent one for metallurgic analysis

I would call VF-35 as well

and it has a shot at being a 7A which is a Kipton coin

very very nice

Great pick-up on the clash. I missed it entirely..........7A it is! There are only a handful of these known.

Chris

Is this the clash? I noticed it when I bought it. Looked like the line from the wing extended up.

1787-rev-clash.jpg

That is just part of the clash, but it can be a tell-tale giveaway for the best part that may be found on the obverse. That clash is Liberty's neckline. More often than not, this clash will be positioned from the eagle's wing to the righthand leg of the "n" of IGWT.

Now, if you look on the obverse, you will see another clash extending from Liberty's jaw in a southwest direction. This is the leading edge of the eagle's right wing. If you look part of the way down the field along Liberty's neck, you will be able to see a small arc. This is the left side of the "G" in IGWT.

Most of the clashes on the Morgan are fairly common and not often attributable, but letter transfers are more significant.

Chris

The coin might have been stored improperly in the past

are you going to put it in a slab or somekind of air tight??

I wouldnt keep that coin in plastic and I would also acetone 10 minutues

and then put it in its new home.