• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 personal collecting fact posted by pgera3

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

show and dealer versus internet

i just added all my coins to the inventory and my sets 2011 was a good year.

for many years i did all my coins purchases from dealers and shows and i use too finish the year by spending 60 too 70 % of the ngc value giuide, but about 18 months i decided too focus on web buying ( e-bay, teletrade and more).

this year i finish at 46 % of ngc book value not bad even with few coins i get are pcgs and we all know pcgs value is higher than ngc.

maybe i will continue but i miss the personal contact with the collecting community

happy hunting in 2012

See more journals by pgera3

It is nice to have that interaction with your local dealer and fellow numismatists,. I buy about half from Ebay and about half from local dealers. Gonna give a Holiday shoutout to the best, California Numismatic Funding, Vista CA. It is much easier to beat the FMV on Ebay though.

Happy Holidays Guys,

Malcolm

I personally have done all my coin shopping online at various sites including ebay and teletrade and DLRC. I would love to buy from a dealer but there just aren't any coin shops within a decent driving time from where I live. It does seem like you miss out on something just buying over the internet.

dealers and shows are where i look-carefully-shows are not a good place to try and take your time though..

ebay and great collections and heritage - some buying

Newspaper ad- this is where i buy the bulk of my material for auctioning off..

biggest score this year was a 1955 U.S.A. proof set-dealer wanted $120-we argued for two weeks and i gave in and paid it- see NGC#2013087(001-005) I'm happy i did....especially coin 005 which i believe NGC is undervaluing by about $500....

I was split between the two. I had since moved to a remote town in Southern Arizona and there are no coin shops.. just pawn shops. Now Im 100% internet buying. When I lived next to Clarksville, TN.. I had 4 coin stores to choose from. I do miss the interaction with these guys!