• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do with this 2009 UHR?

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just joined NGC for the first time so that I could submit my 25 anniversary sets.

Now that I am finally a member, I want to submit several other coins that I've held onto over the years.

My biggest question is what to do with my original unopened mint shipping box containing a 2009 UHR gold coin.

I never opened it just in case it was worth more that way, but now that I'm thinking of having it graded I don't think there is any benefit to leaving it in the box.

The ups next day air shipping label on the box is dated 3/18/09, so as I understand it that is after the PCGS cut off date for first strike; and I'm past any deadline for NGC too. I'm assuming that I don't want some other company to grade it either.

So, do I break open the box, confirm it isn't super ugly somehow, and send it in to NGC? If it came back with a low grade I guess I'd crack it out and sell it raw?

Thanks everyone!

I see no harm in getting it certified.

Best case scenario, you get a 70, and your coin is worth that much more.

Worst case scenario, you get a 68 or 69, and the coin is no less valuable than it was in the OGP.