• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie request: Where can I get rolls of Andrew Johnson dollars?

13 posts in this topic

Hi there.

I'm a regular visitor/contributor to the CGC forums, but I'm not a numismatist. However, when the presidential dollar coins were introduced, I decided to buy a roll of each for each of my two girls and one for my godson.

For the past few years, I've gone to the bank a few weeks after the release of each presidential dollar coin, and I've gotten the rolls I need. This year, I screwed up: I didn't get the Johnson rolls when they were released, and now none of the banks around me have them.

I see that they are available on eBay for $34 postpaid. Just $9 over face value doesn't seem like a lot given that the seller needs to cover shipping, eBay fees, and PayPal fees. But overall it bugs me to have to pay that surcharge for my stupidity, so I'm wondering... can I do better? Should I look somewhere else to pick up a couple rolls? If a coin dealer near me happens to have rolls, what would be a fair price?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a Bank of America near you, check with them. I have bought several rolls from them for a flat $25. Every coin in each roll has been from the same mint and never circulated.

I have the same problem. but I found out that some coin shops and dealers bought the presidential dollars from the US Mint "direct ship" program, where they could buy $250 dollars worth for $250 + S&H. Check your local coin shop and they might have some mint rolls. and at the most, it may cost you only $28.00 per roll.

and while we are on the topic of coin rolls.. does anyone know where I can buy half dollar rolls that are unsearched? I've checked FeeBay, and sellers are asking $19.99 buy it now for a $10 roll that possibly has silver halves in it.

I checked with my bank (bank of america) and they told me that when they get them from customers, they usually bag them for the Dunbar trucks.

Are there any banks if Florida that regularly carry mixed-date half dollar rolls?

.....and while we are on the topic of coin rolls.. does anyone know where I can buy half dollar rolls that are unsearched? I've checked FeeBay, and sellers are asking $19.99 buy it now for a $10 roll that possibly has silver halves in it. I checked with my bank (bank of america) and they told me that when they get them from customers, they usually bag them for the Dunbar trucks.

Are there any banks if Florida that regularly carry mixed-date half dollar rolls?

Those SleazeBay sellers may not have searched them, but you can be 99.99999999999999999% sure that someone else already has.......probably one of the seller's relatives.

I'm with BoA, and several years ago, I used to regularly order 2-$500 boxes of half dollars every week through my branch here in SWFLA. I quit ordering them when I learned that BoA maintained their own regional storage facilities to supply their branches with rolls. I discovered that I was just going through coins that were recycled and I had already checked many of them (identified by markers!)

At first, I found a lot of 90% & 40% silver halves and even some proofs, but after a couple years, it fizzled out. If you're just trying to search for silver, you'll probably find that most has been cherrypicked by others after the price of silver shot up over the last 18 months or so. I think that is one of the reasons why so many banks have started charging customers when ordering rolls for them. (I don't know if BoA does or not.)

Chris

Chris, Thats what I keep thinking. Silver jumped up and up, and not many people thought about the silver content in halves untill the boom in silver. I think it might be too late for me now =/

My guess would be that it is too late. Sure, every once in a while I read that some person went to their bank and the teller "just happened to have another customer earlier that day" bring in some rolls which she happily gave to the roll-searcher. And, when he got home he discovered that most, if not all, were 90% or 40% silver. There are still a lot of elderly people who have saved coins and rolled them for decades, but when the money runs short at the end of the month, they turn them in not even knowing that they are losing a huge amount.

Chris

If you have a Bank of America near you, check with them. I have bought several rolls from them for a flat $25. Every coin in each roll has been from the same mint and never circulated.

I checked with the BofA near me in Springfield, MA. No dice. Thanks for the advice, though.

I have the same problem. but I found out that some coin shops and dealers bought the presidential dollars from the US Mint "direct ship" program, where they could buy $250 dollars worth for $250 + S&H. Check your local coin shop and they might have some mint rolls. and at the most, it may cost you only $28.00 per roll.

and while we are on the topic of coin rolls.. does anyone know where I can buy half dollar rolls that are unsearched? I've checked FeeBay, and sellers are asking $19.99 buy it now for a $10 roll that possibly has silver halves in it.

I checked with my bank (bank of america) and they told me that when they get them from customers, they usually bag them for the Dunbar trucks.

Thanks for the info.

There is one coin dealer/pawn shop nearby that is so sleazy I wouldn't buy from them even if the price were below face value. I called another coin dealer, who has the rolls I want, but at $6 more than the eBay price.

Given the news that these coins will be minted only for the collectors' market from now on, I think I'll just stop buying them altogether and just forget the Johnson ones. My expectation when I started this collection was that when all was said and done, I'd have a complete set of rolls for each of my girls and for my godson, all at a cost of face value. At a minimum they would never lose value, and just maybe they would appreciate in value at some point.

Now it seems that adding to my collection can be done only by paying above face value. The odds of ultimately losing money on any future "investment" in this collection have gone up significantly, so I'll just give up on these entirely.

Given the news that these coins will be minted only for the collectors' market from now on, I think I'll just stop buying them altogether and just forget the Johnson ones.

I finally got my Johnson rolls.

I had asked for them without success at the main branch of just about every bank in the area. Then I had a "Wizard of Oz" moment. I was in my local bank branch in the tiny little town where I live. Even though their main HQ had said "no" to me, I decided to ask the branch about the Johnson rolls. And they had them! There's no place like home! They hooked me up with the Johnsons I needed, and they had a lot of others as well.

Silver McGoldie21, are you still looking for some? I can ask if they have the ones you need as well.