• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to look for on Error coins

8 posts in this topic

I have a difficult time finding the details on a coin that makes it an error. After searching on Google for 30 minutes I figured someone on here has a good knowledge of error coins.

The one coin I am stumped on is the 1960-D lincoln cent. The red book lists large and small date varieties, but the penny I have has the looks of a double die on the obverse.

What makes me think it is a double die is the motto and "liberty" which have very thick letters. the date and mint mark look doubled, but not as much as the motto and liberty. I compared this coin with 7 other 1960-D pennies I have and this one stands alone.

Can someone give me some insight on what I have?

Thanks!

Welcome to the neighborhood!

First, a Doubled Die (not double die) is a variety rather than an error, and we would need to see good photos to make sure that it isn't just machine doubling (also called mechanical or strike doubling) which is very common. The CPG lists only one DDO (date & mintmark) for the 60-D.

Chris

Edited to add: CONECA lists some additional DDO's........

http://varietyvista.com/Variety%20Master%20Listings/lincoln%20doubled%20dies%201959-1960.htm

Without see pics it’s hard to comment on your coin however some general knowledge about double dies may help.

A double die is when the die is engraved with two sets of letters or images. In such a case many coins will be struck with this error die.

Mechanical doubling is more common. This is when the regular die is stamped two or even three time on the same blank.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the replies. This is the best image my photo scanner could produce. I had to put the image as file, I dont know if it will show it with out having to open the file. but that is the coin I am wondering about. I brought it to my friend who is a local numismatist and he said the coin had "die fatigue" but I am open to your opinions.

thanks!

119293.jpg.b6c69b0a819f9ecc8ae139941f214fc2.jpg

I don't see any evidence of a doubled die, but i do see what might be machine doubling on the date/mm.

This is when the regular die is stamped two or even three time on the same blank.

I know I'm being picky, but coins aren't stamped. They are struck.

Also, machine doubling occurs when the die becomes slightly loose in the retaining collar and the vibration of the machinery causes it to move back and forth at a rapid rate. As the die is withdrawing from the planchet, it moves some of the metal along the raised devices. Machine doubling will appear flat and shelf-like.

Chris

Thank Cpm9ball, Johnny9434 and everyone else. I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge of this error coin with me. If I have any other posts in the future about coin varieties, I will look for your replies.

Thanks,

Dave