• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wouldn't this be great?

New classics  

108 members have voted

1. 1. New classics

17 posts in this topic

Replace our ugly circulating coins with classic designs. Walking liberty halves, standing liberty quarters, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, and flying eagle pennies. Not collector coins but circulating coins exactly like the classics (not modernized versions).

Now that would be damn cool.

Yes it would be nice; however, they will never do this without redesigning (i.e. modernizing the designs) the coins. Look at the (modernized) Bison nickels from a few years ago. Does anyone find this coin attractive? I do not.

One reason we all love those old beautiful coins is because they are no longer minted. The allure of those coins would be greatly diminished if millions of them with similar design were put into circulation. There is nothing that compares to those old designs but they should be left alone so they can be a part of numismatic history.

I voted no, because if the mint were to do this they would screw with the designs. The reason we like them is because they are eye appealing and striking just the way they were. For examples, look at the modern silver and gold eagles, as well as those national park quarters. Classic designs rendered ridiculous by modernization and relief reduction.

One reason we all love those old beautiful coins is because they are no longer minted. The allure of those coins would be greatly diminished if millions of them with similar design were put into circulation. There is nothing that compares to those old designs but they should be left alone so they can be a part of numismatic history.

I agree and I will take it further. Some of what made those designs so attractive will never happen again. First, the coins would be struck in copper nickel clad rather than silver. Compare a 70's Washington Quarter to a Silver Washington to see how disappointing the clad coin can be. Second, the mint strikes all modern coins in low relief. This has absolutely killed the eye appeal of American coinage. Our coins look like play money. The silver lining is that most are well struck. I think I made my opinion of the importance of strike in a recent thread.

So no only do we love the old designs because they are no longer minted, the new low relief versions would most likely ruin the old designs. I mean seriously, Monticello just doesn't look real.

JN2006-PSMSNGCMS67.jpg

I totally agree.

I voted "No" for the reasons expressed by others, but also because I think we should revamp the entire coinage process with regard to denomination (like getting rid of the cent & adding a $2, $5 & $10 coin), composition and size.

Chris

Are we so devoid of artistic talent that were can't come up with new classic designs and we have to copy old designs?

.....an allegorical mind wants to know!

.....an art deco mind wants to know!

It seems that today, if it can't be spit out on a computer using Photoshop in 30 minutes or less, it's too much hassle.

Chris

The First Spouse coinage has replicated some of Libery's favorite designs.

I like the Buchanan 1857–1861 , I think it was the Gobrecht Liberty design

OP

Are we so devoid of artistic talent that were can't come up with new classic designs and we have to copy old designs?

It seems that today, if it can't be spit out on a computer using Photoshop in 30 minutes or less, it's too much hassle.

Chris

Shoot, it took me 30 minutes just to figure out how to crop an image in Photoshop.

Chris

Shoot, it took me 30 minutes just to figure out how to crop an image in Photoshop.

Exception noted!

Sorry, but I voted "no". Much of the charm of the classic designs is derived from the fact that "they don't make them like that anymore".

However, to emulate the style and class of historic art is always welcome.