• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most of my box of 20 is in NGC holders.

43 posts in this topic

Its more like a box of 15 right now but 20 in spirit. Im gonna post some of them in this thread over time. I dont have them all photographed. Some of them are darksiders but maybe no one will mind. Eventually it will be a box of 20 US and box of 20 World but for now its a mixed bag.

Here is the first coin I ever lusted over. Posted ATS by its then owner a few years ago in a thread showing her off, I looked for weeks for a similar specimen thinking this one wouldnt be sold any time soon. Then one day stumbled upon it on Ebay with 4 hours left and watched the auction for the next 4 hours.

darkwalkerslab.jpg

boxoftwenty80b.jpg

The 2nd coin I ever lusted over. This one made me lost sleep waiting for the auction to wind down. It had 0 bids until the last day. I put in the minimum bid in the last few hours and was ready to snipe for moon money thinking strong money would come in late. Well I fell asleep with 10 minutes left and was outbid by 5$ as only 1 other bidder got in it.( I must be the only one that thinks her beautiful.)

It turned out to be Rick Tomaska of Franklin halves fame. I tracked him down several weeks after the auction and made him an offer 50% above what he paid and he accepted.

Tilted in the right light she is even better looking than the pic shows. Rainbows hidden everywhere in the golden red overlay. An amazing coin I would rather eat than sell if I was ever homeless.

24aplus.jpg

24aplus3.jpg

24aplus5.jpg

Can't wait to see more descriptions and pics of your other coins! I have no problems that most of your coins are NGC......I like both companies and don't drink the kool aid :)

Nice toned coin in an no line fattie holder.

What's a darksider?

I've been under the impression that the term "darksider" referred to foreign coins.

Chris

Can't wait to see more descriptions and pics of your other coins! I have no problems that most of your coins are NGC......I like both companies and don't drink the kool aid :)

Ywah I wasnt making it offensive agasint NGC. I realize PCGS fetches more money and I absoluteley agree that the grading standards are unique for each. But when its all said and done my best coins are in NGC slabs.

Now all that being said, here is a PCGS member of my box of 20. Not much story behind this one. I bought it from the same seller as the red toned peace above. I was the only bidder and got her for what I consider a bargain.

22DGreenPeaceSlab.JPG

22GreenTCM.jpg

OK will do. Here are some dark siders now. I guess some people call this Grey side since its North American. Not much story on this one either. I was in the market for a Dos Pesos and I found one with color in NGC 55. When I got her in hand she was really beat up badly. I wanted to originally go with color on all my target coins but I added an exception and decided it could be color and/or PL qualities. The next 2 show very PL qualities, though not fully PL, in either case even a little PL is very rare for these issues from what I have seen.

1921DosPesosObvsm.jpg

1921DosPesosRevsm.jpg

slabn1.jpg

slabn2.jpg

OK back to the US for this one. Again not much story. I bought this from KryponiteComics who always has amazing coins. As you can tell by the rest of my collection I am not a big bank colector. All of coins were under 500$ so the washington series is one of the few series of silver coinage I would like to complete some day. This is my favorite washington quarter and it is in an NGC 66*. I call her Starry Night because it reminds me of one of my favorite paintings(but no I am not a learned art person). The luster on this one is booming under the great toning.

1964024.jpg

1964026.jpg

And here is another darksider. This coin has an estimated mintage of either 30 or 60, it is unclear as neither Krause nor the Austrian or Paris mint have any records of the coin according to some research done by some other owners of the same coin. Several of these had hit the auction block in the past few years, about 10 ive seen all in NGC plastic except 1 pcgs. I bought this one for a little more than average auction price because of all the ones I saw at the time it had the most prounounced cameo effect. a PCGS 66 recently went for over 500$ though and that one also had nice cameo. This one is NGC Pf 66. It is aluminum bronze which I think is an awesome alloy.

Uru10cTemplateM.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments by the way guys. I think I did very well on a low budget and shows the hobby can be enjoyed with not much money. Nice to see other people agree. I always admire the guys on the forums with the masterful eyes and would love to get there some day.

Really beautiful coins... all of them. Obviously I am partial to the toned ones but I have to say WOW ! you got a coin with a mintage of under 60 and maybe even less than 10 surviving examples for less than $500 ! Score !

OK back to some story telling now. This one is probably boring to everyone because this is a niche coin that most people dont collect and its a world coin. But I think the story itself might be a fun read to some.

So I collect and study a certain series from Uruguay. The 1969 FAO release. So I had been hoarding a few of the silver and bonze issues, there is also a gold but I cannot afford at these prices. Anyway I found an ebay listing in Argentina for the bronze that was about 3x what I had been buying them up for and was somewhat annoyed with the seller so I messaged him to start a sarcastic dialog about what made this coin so rare that he was charging 60$ for when I had just bought 10 of them for under 20$ each. Before I could burn my would be bridges he mentions he has the silver PROOF of the coin and is willing to sell it for 175$. I was shocked. I had known of the coin but with only 250 mintage I had only even seen 1 previous auction for it in the past 10 year archives and hadnt seen any come up for sale in the 2 years i looked for them. I asked for pictures and he sent the first set of scans below. I was somewhat disapointed with what I thought was a high risk because it was hard to determine condition. He then mentions he has a 2 coin in better condition and sends scans #2. Obviously looks like the better coin and I agree at 175$ for #2 to roll the dice. Last minute I say what the heck and offer 150$ more for the first one too, he agrrees and I paypal the money.

Anyway judge for yourself what you think these proofs would grade based on these scans:

Proof4.jpg

Proof3.jpg

Proof2.jpg

Proof1.jpg

OK so ill add a spoiler buffer before revealing my pics and what NGC gave both above coins(some will already know from other forum I posted these)

This is the same coin but it is the MS issue. It has a rare rainbow tone to it and was also graded by NGC with the above proofs. It got MS 65 which was a pleasant surprise for me as I though it would go 64 and maybe even rejected because the luster is subdued by the toning. These pictures dont capture the color well, they were taken before I had my good camera equipment, which was then sold before I could photograph all my coins :(

This rainbow is amazing IMO

1969Toner1RevS.jpg

1969Toner1ObvS.jpg

Toner3OLMs.png