• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS "92 Cleaned" designation

2 posts in this topic

I sent 4 double eagle coins to PCGS for grading. All coins were returned to me with a grade of "Genuine". Upon checking the coin cert verification numbers, the Genuine code designation were "92 Cleaned". PCGS defines a 92 Cleaned coin as either harshly cleaned or polished; the description goes into more detail as follows: "Surface damage due to any form of abrasive cleaning. "Cleaned" covers a wide range or appearances, from a grossly polished coin to one where faint hairlines can be seen only at a particular angle or in only one area on an otherwise perfectly normal coin. This is perhaps the most frustrating of all the No Grades, because subtle cleaning is often difficult to detect in less-than-optimal grading conditions. "Dipping" (the removal of toning with a chemical bath) is not considered cleaning under this definition."

I have not included photos, but I can if that would be helpful. Would it worth it to send these coins to NCS to take a look at whether or not the coins can be conserved? And if they were successfully conserved, would NGC grade the coins without the "Details" designation?

Thank you for your help!

A coin that has been improperly cleaned has had the surfaces permanently altered. Conservation can remove residues or undesirable toning from the coin but conservation would not be able to restore the surfaces. The coin would still be improperly cleaned.

Chris, NCS