• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great NGC raises Grading Fees for 2012 posted by Johnson 1

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does special lables add that much to the value???

Email from NGC

Modern Special $20 12 working days

All U.S. coins 1955 to present requiring a special label, including Releases designations and Eagle 20th and 25th Anniversaries. Five (5) coin minimum. 5-coin minimum waived for America The Beautiful 5 oz. quarters.

Why I ask is this level of grading and labeling increasing in price. I thought $17 was bad. Is it because we are all fools. Brown, blue it all the same. My coins which was received by NGC on 12-5 still have not show up as received. Great customer service. Now you can pay more for less service. I send 150 to 200 coins a year some more some less. I use this teir alot. I am not happy about this at all. $3 bucks increase and $8 Handling charge and over the top Shipping fee. To really tee me off a few years ago NGC took away the 10% discount for submission done on line. You have to pay more in your renew fee to receive it. All I can say is I will be useing PCGS much much more.

See more journals by Johnson 1

Hey Johnson 1,

In my opinion labels add absolutely nothing to the value of a coin and it's strictly a aesthetic. marketing strategy. NGC's marketing strategy, given the captive audience they have here at the Collector's Society, is absolutely brilliant. Give your members a forum, discounts, awards, perks that other grading companies don't, and allow them to register their competitors slabs, but make them wait an annoying amount of time before you allow the registration, then look at the most popular series your members collect and give them numerous choices for labels and you can see the results. I've heard that coin collectors are anal retentive and left handed, I'll go along the the retentive part but I'm right handed so I guess it's what you like to see in your sets given the plethora of labels available for the same coin. Dealers see the benefit and offer different labels because some collectors want specific labels for their sets and are asking for them or want proprietary labels only available from their company, more marketing. The result is "label collecting" the result of a brilliant marketing strategy. After all, we have to have them all and they have to look the same, right! NGC knows this, they made it happen to drive their grading business, just look at the 2011 ASE and the Early Releases designation available now for all coins as an example, another brilliant marketing strategy involving labels we just have to have, brilliant!

Pardon the rant,

Larry

just think how much this increases the value of the coins you've already had graded !!

i believe people do place a value on certain slabs- have you ever seen a "doily" slab sell on ebay?? people pay way over the value of the coin just to get the holder!

why should the grading business hold back-received my health insurance bill for december UP 8.2%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!