• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Colorful Peace Dollar Purchase

23 posts in this topic

It is a beautiful coin, very impressive toning. Reminds me of some that came into Pops store.

My grandparents ran a Chili Factory and Food Store in Greenville, TX many years ago. When I would go there to visit them as a kid (1950's and 60's) he would give me silver dollars that had come into the store in change. Many were AU-Unc 1922- 23 Peace Dollars and one real gem was a DMPL 1891-S Morgan. I saved these and they formed my initial interest in numismatics.

In his Den (office) he had a safe which had such goodies as $10 Indians. The safe passed to my parents, then to me. The $10 Indians were liquidated at his death in 1964 (where unknown) by my grandmother and parents hopefully not at face to a bank. He was not a coin collector but knew value when he saw it and these pieces ended up in his safe or as gifts to me.

This is probably my favorite piece of the Peace Dollars that you have posted. I admire your ability to continue to work on such a challenging set (I have given up on it for the moment because of lack of availability of rainbow toned Peace Dollars).

I really don't like peace dollars, but when they are toned like the OP's, I like it.

I have a few as well, and have sold 1 toned one in NGC 63 that I still kind of miss (but, a few years ago, as I was doing an online show and tell, someone pinged me asking me to sell...and was persistent so I finally gave in and sold since they collected peace dollars and loved them).

I really like the green on the OP coin.

Zboyle, I trust that seller, but he is known for taking pics in sunlight. Its hard to properly evaluate the color in his pics - but I've never bought a coin from him that I doubted, or that didn't look better in hand.

That's a strange looking Peace.

I agree and the grade is just as strange. I see no major distractions on the obverse yet the coin rests in an MS60 holder. No doubt it was silently net graded for the very very thick, very very dark, very very questionable toning that most certainly severely mutes the obverse luster.