• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniversary Set Listings - Ebay

5 posts in this topic

I was just on ebay checking to see if the value of my graded sets is still falling.....it is.

I noticed 1 seller had a few listings on the front page. So I went to the "view sellers other items" tab and wow. This guy has 46 - 25th Ann Sets in MS/PF 70 available for purchase! He also has 43 other 25th Ann. Set coins listed individually. Of the 562 items listed under "25th Anniversary Set NGC 70" this one retailer has 89 of the items. And he has already sold 16 complete sets and many individual coins.

16% of current listings belong to one seller?

The prices for sets have been falling since the first week. There's no way this guy could make money buying these sets after market.....could he?

How did he get all of these sets? (and graded 70?)

I couldn't find the "beating a dead horse" icon.....I know that's what I'm doing!

Didn't buy them after-market. Either offered small premiums prior to issue (unlikely, as deals went bad due to the breakout prices), or, more likely, 'cheated the system' and had cousins, neighbors, ets, pets neighbors, pets neighbor's pets, etc, buy them for him. Many peopele did this. Household limit was 5, but ALOT of people jumped in and worked their 'friends and family' network. This type of 'networking' prevented ALOT of collectors from receiving even ONE set at issue price.

I read of one poster ATS that had gathered over 300 sets this way ....over 300. Sending in 300 sets for grading...the fees ...whoo boy! Personally, where I did stay within the limit, I hope these people take a beating, both gradewise and what the sets fetch. Lots are dumping to pay the CC bills....and with the interest rates on these CC's...I hope they get hosed. THEY are the reason for such price destabilization so quickly. The 20th Anniv 2006 sets, with 2.5 times the mintage, and 2 fewer coins in it, held their peak price for ALOT longer than the 2011 25th Anniv sets.

I was just on ebay checking to see if the value of my graded sets is still falling.....it is.

I noticed 1 seller had a few listings on the front page. So I went to the "view sellers other items" tab and wow. This guy has 46 - 25th Ann Sets in MS/PF 70 available for purchase! He also has 43 other 25th Ann. Set coins listed individually. Of the 562 items listed under "25th Anniversary Set NGC 70" this one retailer has 89 of the items. And he has already sold 16 complete sets and many individual coins.

16% of current listings belong to one seller?

The prices for sets have been falling since the first week. There's no way this guy could make money buying these sets after market.....could he?

How did he get all of these sets? (and graded 70?)

I couldn't find the "beating a dead horse" icon.....I know that's what I'm doing!

There were two complete 25th Anniversary sets on 70 offered on Teletrade a few days ago. They both went fo $1550. I wonder how many people bought a 70 set when they were offered on EBAY for $4600?

Prices are dropping as predicted earlier. This is almost a 70% drop from that inflated price. People were asking $500 for a reverse proof. I have seen them for $295.This is a 40% drop.

Didn't buy them after-market. Either offered small premiums prior to issue (unlikely, as deals went bad due to the breakout prices), or, more likely, 'cheated the system' and had cousins, neighbors, ets, pets neighbors, pets neighbor's pets, etc, buy them for him. Many peopele did this. Household limit was 5, but ALOT of people jumped in and worked their 'friends and family' network. This type of 'networking' prevented ALOT of collectors from receiving even ONE set at issue price.

I read of one poster ATS that had gathered over 300 sets this way ....over 300. Sending in 300 sets for grading...the fees ...whoo boy! Personally, where I did stay within the limit, I hope these people take a beating, both gradewise and what the sets fetch. Lots are dumping to pay the CC bills....and with the interest rates on these CC's...I hope they get hosed. THEY are the reason for such price destabilization so quickly. The 20th Anniv 2006 sets, with 2.5 times the mintage, and 2 fewer coins in it, held their peak price for ALOT longer than the 2011 25th Anniv sets.

You are 100% correct. A few days ago there were Two complete 25th Anniversary sets in 70 offered on Teletrade. They both went for $1550.00. Complete sets on Ebay in 70 were going for $4600 in the first week. I had been buying the proof and the Uncirculated since 1986 from the U.S. Mint just to keep them up to date. I was not able to get one because of these people getting everybody to buy them for them. I also hope that they take a beating and get hosed as well as the people who paid these inflated prices and enabled them. Now you know how the Housing crisis came about.

I think $700-ish for an ungraded set is probably the median price right now. I just purchased a 5-set sealed pack for $703 ea. and the 5 probably qualify for 1st issue. I'll keep one and sell the other 4 to cover my costs.