• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69's Full Of 70's

6 posts in this topic

The results of my 25th Anniversary SAE submissions are in, and I am nowhere near Kamakazy's royal flush.

My 25th Anniversary SAE grades are in, and it is a full house, with the three mint-state coins grading MS-69 and the proofs grading PF-70. While I am a little disappointed with the overall results, I am ecstatic that the reverse proof is PF-70! Of the five coins in this set, the reverse proof is my favorite coin. The mirrored devices and frosty fields make for an extraordinarily beautiful coin that in my eyes stands head and shoulders above the rest.

My fascination with coins struck in reverse proof started with the 20th Anniversary SAE. I remember receiving the US Mint's flyer in the mail and quickly dismissing it because I did not know exactly what a reverse proof coin was. Much later, having seen photographs of a 2006 reverse proof SAE, I regretted not purchasing it.

Two years ago in an effort to make up for my mistake, I purchased a 2006 reverse proof 68 as a type coin. At that time, I recall that PF-70's were very expensive and even now, one sold in November for $546.25 at Heritage. For $169.00 my 68 was a very attractive alternative.

Now fast-forward two years and I have a chance to upgrade the 2006 coin with a bonus of four additional coins for $300! For a month leading up to the 25th anniversary sale, I debated whether I would purchase a set at all, but as the purchase date approached, I was caught up in the hype. Therefore, with a renewal coupon to cash in for grading, I decided to purchase one set and take whatever grades I got.

Obviously based on my perspective, purchasing and grading a 25th anniversary set has paid off. Now only time will tell what the value of my coin will be. But consider this, The 2006 reverse proof with a mintage of 250,000 and a NGC population of 9,255 coins grading at PF-70 representing 19% of all the coins NGC graded lists for $550 FMV. As you can see, the 2011 reverse proof with a mintage of 100,000 has a lot of potential for growth with very little, if any downside.

In summary, while it would have been nice to have a royal flush, I think I can live with the grades I got. After all, a full house more often than not is the highest hand on the table. Additionally, for now, I think I will also hang on to my 2006. In closing, I hope that you are all happy with the grades you get, and I wish you the best.

Gary

See more journals by gherrmann44

I too got a full house 70, 70, and all 69. But you've got me beat.

2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 69

2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 69

2011 P EAGLE REVERSE PF 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 69

I was hoping for the S & P eagles to get 70s but like you,I think I can live with my grades as well.

I don't think I have it in me to trade some of these eagles for "better graded" ones. These are after all the eagles I've got. The ones I've spent an hour clicking, refreshing my browser, and agonizing over the Internet for one fateful Thursday afternoon. :-)

I enjoyed reaading your write-up, it reminded me why I'm still kicking myself in the azz!

I saw what you paid for the 20th Anniv RP in a 68, you could have grabbed a 69 for about $20 more. You know that can still get your dough back on it if you wanted to trade-up.

I had 3-20th sets that I bought from the Mint, but wasn't aware of the grading requirements at that time, and opened the boxes. I guess it was a couple of years later when I finally sent the coins to NGC as individuals. My 3 Rev. Proofs all graded PF69, the Proofs-70's, and the Burnished -ALL 70's OUCH!! Those 20th Anniv. Set Burnished eagles are getting How Much now?, vs. the regular 2006-W's in MS70 for $200. At least this time around on the 25's, I didn't do so bad A-tol.

Bona Fortuna, Gino

I received my set on dec 6th, and sent it to NGC on dec 6th, hope to have them receive it on dec 8,2011. I am just happy that i received a set at all, hope for high grades, but if receive low grades that all right, at lease i received a set, my order was received at 5:55 EST on oct 27th. Happy collecting Don