• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin handling

6 posts in this topic

I watched a video on the n.g.c. web site describing the grading handling process. Why are all of the grading and handling techs not using gloves when handling these coins? I was often told that the human hand and fingers have oils on them, and that these oils could leave marks on numismatic grade coinage. I did notice that the encapsulator person specifically did not have gloves when he poped the coin into the white middle plastic piece.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

:frustrated:

• Administrator

Thank you for the question. NGC employees are well trained in proper coin handling and therefore gloves are not necessary. In fact, we feel that gloves could pose a greater risk to the coins because someone is much more likely to drop a coin while wearing a thick cotton glove than they are if holding it without gloves.

Our graders and other NGC employees only hold the coin's by the edge, which is an accepted practice throughout the numismatic industry.

Also, when a coin is being encapsulated, the coin is placed on a pad and the white plastic core is put around the coin -- the coin is not touched when it is inserted into the core.

I thank you for your response and I am happy that the American coin industry has make substantial changes towards a one stop national grading process. Many years ago, I bought coins at the local downtown coin store. I found after purchase that these coins were seldom graded as described. With proper grading provided by N.G.C., The guess work is done for the industry and the consumer as a whole.

Again, thank you for your service.