• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (misc early coinage)

15 posts in this topic

In honor of Wisconsin's arrival here, and perhaps of JTryka's new membership in the JRCS, I hereby pose this question:

The attribution of bust coinage is usually done as a non-decimal number. (I.e., the number does not have a decimal point as in BB-66, O-101a or Taraszka-14). However, Russ Logan and others came up with an attribution scheme that includes the decimal point, as with LM-6.3.

What does something like LM-6.3 mean?

EVP

EVP,

You got me on this one. I am glad to always be learning here. I have the overton book on varieties and am still trying to figure everything out!! I would guess and this is a stretch that the 6.3 would be variety 6 version 3. Something like 0-101c.

I supose you are laughing now, but I tried...

Sorry, I only found about a half dozen examples with the decimal in the latest Heritage auction, and nothing in the descriptions that would indicate what it signified.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The decimals in the LM book refer to successive die marriages. For some die pairings, the dies were paired once again after having been used in conjunction with other dies in between. This is observable by studying the die states. It's a very esoteric area of collecting, but this just goes to show what careful observers the authors were.

Not bad at all, TDN, but you're hardly an amateur. BTW, die state is the most common way to assess die marriage instance. But, I suppose there may have been other ways for the authors to determine instance. Certainly, die state is but a single aspect used to determine exact instance; the authors will have needed supporting evidence...

DWL: did you hear about the edge mirrors during the auction in Baltimore?

EVP

The edge mirrors lot was the last lot of that session. It was an evening session, and a long one too. Everyone should have been very tired by then.

The lot was supposed to go easily and quietly, with the entire proceeds of that lot going as a donation to the JRCS.

The lot did not go quietly. It opened up normally, but a group of guys from NYC got into a bidding war against a big-time Early Dime collector. The bidding crept up slowly because the 3 guys from NYC seemed uncertain about bidding more.

Yet, the bidding continued until hammering finally at ... I think it was $2.2K.

In my opinion, it was a nice close to the first session of the Russell J. Logan sale.

BTW, David, you know the guy who did the bidding for the NYC group.

EVP