• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th set issues/ question on off center strike on West point coin

5 posts in this topic

I received my set a few days ago and i found two things that disappointed me.

The first was 2 of the coins were out of the holders and out of the airtite plastic cases. The S minted coin and the proof coin. Both coins were marred up and to me damaged beyond worth. The rims took a bad beating as did the face on both.

Then i noticed this on the W minted coin. Is this a treasure or trash? To me it is not desirable at all but i know there are people who like these strikes. Should i sell them all for melt? I didn't get them from the Mint and the guy who sold them to me was going to refund my money but the reverse proof was very nice so i decided to keep them all. It was that or none and i got the set for the price of a raw reverse proof on eBay so......

25thcoin030.jpg

25thcoin015.jpg

the front is not as bad but a little off center

25thcoin018.jpg

So let me know what you think and if anyone else has lose and damaged coins in the sets they received. One other person i talked to had the same thing but with three coins out of the plastic and damaged.

I know the 25th anniversary set will not be marked on the case if i did send it in but will the off center strike make it ungradeable or would it me marked as an error coin (for lack of a better word) or as struck off center?

Thanks, Matt

Hi! Matt the coin is not off center to be of any value. I would put the set on ebay and sell it, just show very good pictures and if you want to tell prospective buyers the story of the coins and let them decide. They are more valuable than melt for sure. If you want to sell the set for melt, I'll buy them. lol

Thanks Charles.

It just put the final insult to my injury when i saw the strike. Three out of 5 with bad problems.

But then again, thanks to yuo i have one nice set on its way.

That may not have stopped the pain of the problem set, but it makes me feel better to know i will have a great set too.

Take care, Matt

The coin is not off-center it has a slight misaligned die. This is a very minor error and would not affect the grading of the coin at all. PCGS or NGCwould grade this coin as a 70 if it merited it. They would not lower the grade for the slight MAD.

Thanks Conder101.

I didn't know if it would hurt the grades and that was one of my worries so thank you. I was hoping to get a nice raw set to put on display with the other coins in our curio cabinet. I have the 20th set, a few commems and other AES coins out and they look great under a CFL 6700 bulb but it also shows any flaw no matter how minor it looks under other lighting.

And Charles, yeah, i don't think ill sell any of the bad coins to anyone. That's not right in my opinion. I have enough problem with people who sell bad coins only to recoup their money with no thought to the people spending their hard earned money. Ebay is full of unethical people that do that regularly. Thats why i like to deal on this board. More collectors here than profiteers in my experiences.

If you want them for scrap price, they are yours. I even have another one i will send you for free.

Thanks again guys, Matt