• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC to recognize 1939 Jefferson nickel reverses

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone out there know that NGC now recognizes and attributes, on the holder, the reverses used for 1939 business strike Jefferson nickels(we have been doing the proofs) at no additional charge. I do want to point out that though this will take a little while to get all of the Registry changed around, so please be patient with us on that part.

Thanks to everyone who PM'ed me and threw some ideas at us, it is appreciated.

At last! Now, after two years of asking! smile.gif Thanks to Jason Taylor and AVickery for their influence. grin.gif

Hoot

This is good news - thanks, Andy!

Hopefully the pop report will be divided into three categories; undesignated, Rev '38 and Rev '40, with coins graded thus far going into the "undesignated" category and only moved into the Rev 'xx categories as they are sent in for designation review. smile.gif

Ken

This is good news - thanks, Andy!

Hopefully the pop report will be divided into three categories; undesignated, Rev '38 and Rev '40, with coins graded thus far going into the "undesignated" category and only moved into the Rev 'xx categories as they are sent in for designation review. smile.gif

Ken

No, no, no, we can't have that! 893whatthe.gif Just throw them all into one catagory.....like foreheadslap.gifpcgs sleeping.gif did! They are so cool! wink.gif

Leo

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The existing population of 1939 currency and 1939-40 proof nickels will remain as is in the Census Report. There will be separate lines for the two reverse types for each date, as well as separate lines for those having either 5FS or 6FS.

sounds like a great response so far everyone, Jefferson nickels are really getting alot of attention lately. I do want to add that the thanks should be directed at Dave Lange and Rick Montgomery, who are the one who made this happen, I was just the messenger.

Our next order of business here is to ban all pcgs FS nickels from the NGC Registry until they allow NGC FS nickels into their registry! acclaim.gif

Whoa....wait a minute....that wouldn't be possible......pcgs doesn't know how to grade 6FS nickels! 27_laughing.gif

Leo insane.gif

I wonder why Dave has given me the pat answer for the last two years, "If is isn't in the Cerrypicker's Guide, we simply won't make the attribution."? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif What made you change your mind, Dave? popcorn.gif

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The proofs of 1939 are already in the CPG, so in a way we're not going beyond that criteria. The CPG acknowledges that non-proof 1939 nickels of all three mints come with both reverses, implying that there's not enough differential in rarity to consider any of them to be "cherrypicks."

By distinguishing these varieties we are simply taking the CPG listings to the next logical extension. We still adhere to the CPG-only policy with respect to modern-coin varieties for the simple reason that CPG listings are fully illustrated and unambiguous, a fact that's not always true of Breen's book and many other references.

non-proof 1939 nickels of all three mints come with both reverses, implying that there's not enough differential in rarity to consider any of them to be "cherrypicks."

I just want all of you fine folks to know that I am a buyer for all 1939PDS with the rev. of 1938's that have 5 full steps! wink.gif

Leo

Ken

You've probably already seen this one and I apologize for the bad pic but it (1939PF rev. of 1940, $900) has medium frost! Man, I need to take another pic for the archives.......that pic is awful! 27_laughing.gif See attachment!

Leo

483701-M1939T2PF.jpg.77f2d9303fabfa2f53cec5dabe7e8c8c.jpg