• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONDER PROOF TOKEN

5 posts in this topic

MY FIRST CONDER PROOF

Well it arrived today in the mail from a dealer in high end coins that I had never purchased from. While looking on line for Conder Tokens I ran across this Proof 64 white metal. While I normally collect MS Conder Tokens in copper, this Proof white metal piece was just too nice to say no to...See for yourself.

9874.jpg

See more journals by cvcc

Conder Tokens are known offically as "The Provincial Token Coinage of the 18th century". There was a great need for copper token coinage in the years between 1787 and 1797. The king, George III, would not allow his picture on a copper coin and so none were struck! Merchants and employers suffered from a lack of coinage to pay workers or give change at a time when workers often only earned 1/2 pence a day. So they commissioned copper coins from private mints to fill the need. They were also collected and most can be obtained in mint state because of the collectors of the period. Proofs are very rare. Some were struck in copper, white metal (German Silver), Silver and gilt and are very rare.