• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

random topic

21 posts in this topic

so im not a really superstitious person.

but you guys ever heard of people saying some of these old coins can carry a curse/spell/voodoo/etc ?

or perhaps the opposite, lucky talisman/etc

i never really thought about it, until my parents brought it up (bc of a fingerprint on a coin).

im more or less posting this topic for fun not to get too in-depth.

do you guys every feel/felt this way? or have heard anyone else say or think this?

ill add this to supplement my reasoning for the post.

coincidentally, i had a fingerprint on that old slabbed toned morgan from 1899 (with big fingerprint i didnt notice until after i got it) i had, then had a pretty bad string of luck (in my profession). i ended up selling the coin (not bc i thought it was unlucky, but it was the only coin the person was interested in) randomly to someone i've never met that live's about a mile from me Thru Craigslist. i broke even on the sale (owned the coin for about a month or so), thought that was ok since it was my first sale of a slabbed coin.

and since then, im on a hot streak (im talking 50k+ in a matter of weeks, which is a lot for me since im 25 years old). from the day i got that morgan, i had a really bad cold streak. coincidence?

i think its just coincidence, but im just wondering if any similar situations have occurred.

For almost 30 years, I watched my Mom stick things into the ground and they would grow. You can grow just about anything in South Florida. So, one day I dug a hole in the back yard and buried a $20 bill in it.

Chris

For almost 30 years, I watched my Mom stick things into the ground and they would grow. You can grow just about anything in South Florida. So, one day I dug a hole in the back yard and buried a $20 bill in it.

Chris

i feel like i should understand what your saying but i really dont.

i think its bc i planted too many pot seeds in the backyard ;)

im guessing you feel its just riff-raff. straight logic.

to be honest, im like 97% with you there. but i cant lie to myself and say i have'nt had things make me ponder otherwise, even if just momentarily.

maybe i should have added this what happened. that morgan was the last coin i've bought, and the last/only that has left my collection.

my collection doesnt move much in terms of volatility haha.

Chris

i feel like i should understand what your saying but i really dont.

Oh, heck, then let me help you out. What you said, earlier, on your "reasoning" for this post? You meant, your "imagining." I think that's kind of what he's hinting at...

Objects possess nothing but their own constituent mass.

"Luck" is a combination of chance and your own state of mind.

Oh, heck, then let me help you out. What you said, earlier, on your "reasoning" for this post? You meant, your "imagining." I think that's kind of what he's hinting at...

ok yup i see the point now.

Objects possess nothing but their own constituent mass.

"Luck" is a combination of chance and your own state of mind.

so you believe in luck? but also that a mass cannot influence luck or state of mind?

"Chance" always exists, how we respond to it makes it good, bad or indifferent.

[it's much like going to Cleveland....]

"Chance" always exists, how we respond to it makes it good, bad or indifferent.

[it's much like going to Cleveland....]

The only way to respond to chance in Cleveland is to not go there.

Chris

and since then, im on a hot streak (im talking 50k+ in a matter of weeks, which is a lot for me since im 25 years old).

You made $50K+ in a matter of weeks? I hope whatever you're doing is legal! ;)lol

and since then, im on a hot streak (im talking 50k+ in a matter of weeks, which is a lot for me since im 25 years old).

You made $50K+ in a matter of weeks? I hope whatever you're doing is legal! ;)lol

one of my stocks shot up 70% in 1 day. sadly i only caught about 25% of it, was trying to be cautious and underestimated the play. raked in 12k in 1 day (sold around noontime, for a ridiculous 1day gain i couldnt pass up.), but if i held from 3pm to 4pm alone, it would have gave me 33k more (just in 1 hour). it was intense, and i will remember it forever. (even though i have many similar stories).

this is 1 day.

also, i've had more bad streaks than good streaks.

however, this current streak, is still valid. (hopefully we'll see this coming week).

also, now that i think of it tho, in relation to my primary topic of this thread, i did add a couple toned ASE's to my collection on Thanksgiving. However i don't think they are old enough to be relevant to what i was saying.

one of my stocks shot up 70% in 1 day.

Well, now, you didn't tell us that, that makes a difference! :grin:

Kamillion, give yourself credit where credit is due--you're just a shrewd investor! :)

In 2005 I had the opportunity to work in Aba,Nigeria, West Africa for 3 months. At the time I was not really into coin collecting but had a friend who asked if i would bring him back a coin they use for currency, of course I said sure.

So while in Africa I quickly noticed they dont use any type of coin money, only paper money. We had a driver that would take us to the jobsite everyday and I asked him to help me out with getting a coin, he said the government did issue coin money in the past and as recently as the early nineties but the ju ju (voodoo) women use the coins for spells on people and "everyone" believed that if a spell was put on a coin that anyone who ever touched it would be cursed.

He said he might know of a place to get one but it was a scary place and that I would have to go with him because he would not touch one himself. So we go to the market, which is a HUGE outdoor swapmeet, basically. This place was shoulder to shoulder people, complete chaos. We walked and walked to the far corner, no one in sight. We stopped at a booth with tons of herbs and incense and a crazy old lady. Our driver and this lady talked in igbo for awhile and she came out with five coins, she leaned in close to me and said "be very careful with these"

My driver spent the next month telling me I had to tell anybody I gave them to that they could possibly be cursed, and kept telling me not to give them to people. It was very strange, and I tested the theory that "nobody" in nigeria would touch these coins, and I can tell you everyone I asked to touch it recoiled in horror (no exaggeration) I could not get a single person to touch it, and lost a 20 dollar bet to our driver.

I gave one to my friend and my mom, I warned both. And I kept the other three. So far no considerable harm has come to any of us.

I will see if I can dig up some pics of the place I bought them and I will dig out the coins and post a picture of them.

I didnt have time to re-read this so please forgive grammar errors and i hope it was ok to follow.

Nick

Re:nk1nk

wow , that is an amazing story. (it sounded very exciting and I could picture what you were saying.)

this is exactly what i was talking about.

another thing that might have caused me to ask was because: my 2nd cousins came to visit from Montreal Canada this past Summer; and she was telling me that a lot of Haitians there are into voodoo, and its common for people to know about it and for them to use it. (shes a bit younger maybe 21). I say this just to point out it isnt an "old" person thing, and quite spread out among youths maybe even from what i remember hearing.(but also, my original post meant for old coins not new ones). It wasn't about coins at all though, just in general she said it was relevant. I guess i was thinking about coins at the time though, haha.

Its so crazy though. I'm so happy you shared that. I dont believe it to be actually cursed or Not. It's just so cool.

the coins you have, im thinking lets say if there was a curse on it, that it would have to be directed to the reciever. like you just happened to get them without whoever cursed them knowing you have them. so maybe they are just chilling. so many possibilities. when 99.99999999% of the time ever in history its just a piece of metal. lol i dont know. it just sounds crazy and funny and interesting at the same time. maybe even to a certain extent, scary. Maybe you have to have all 5 coins at once, lol.

a 3rd factor, i remember reading a article probably from here or heard on here about that extremely rare St. Gaudens coin that a conspiracy theorist said were Talisman or good luck as well.

In 2005 I had the opportunity to work in Aba,Nigeria, West Africa for 3 months. At the time I was not really into coin collecting but had a friend who asked if i would bring him back a coin they use for currency, of course I said sure.

So while in Africa I quickly noticed they dont use any type of coin money, only paper money. We had a driver that would take us to the jobsite everyday and I asked him to help me out with getting a coin, he said the government did issue coin money in the past and as recently as the early nineties but the ju ju (voodoo) women use the coins for spells on people and "everyone" believed that if a spell was put on a coin that anyone who ever touched it would be cursed.

He said he might know of a place to get one but it was a scary place and that I would have to go with him because he would not touch one himself. So we go to the market, which is a HUGE outdoor swapmeet, basically. This place was shoulder to shoulder people, complete chaos. We walked and walked to the far corner, no one in sight. We stopped at a booth with tons of herbs and incense and a crazy old lady. Our driver and this lady talked in igbo for awhile and she came out with five coins, she leaned in close to me and said "be very careful with these"

My driver spent the next month telling me I had to tell anybody I gave them to that they could possibly be cursed, and kept telling me not to give them to people. It was very strange, and I tested the theory that "nobody" in nigeria would touch these coins, and I can tell you everyone I asked to touch it recoiled in horror (no exaggeration) I could not get a single person to touch it, and lost a 20 dollar bet to our driver.

I gave one to my friend and my mom, I warned both. And I kept the other three. So far no considerable harm has come to any of us.

I will see if I can dig up some pics of the place I bought them and I will dig out the coins and post a picture of them.

I didnt have time to re-read this so please forgive grammar errors and i hope it was ok to follow.

Nick

What an interesting story! Another reason to have your coins slabbed: NGC encapsulation … protects the coin AND the owner!

What an interesting story! Another reason to have your coins slabbed: NGC encapsulation … protects the coin AND the owner!

^^

This thread brought back my Africa memories, so sorry if this is off topic but this is where I got the coins from.

this is the open market place

V400030.jpg

This was the lady that had the coins, she was VERY upset that I took her picture, I think she put a curse on me because she started talking very fast and guving me some very dirty looks.

V400025.jpg

this was her little shop

V400022.jpg

V400027.jpg

V400020.jpg

Nick

Very few coins can be truly traced from when they were minted till in a collector's hands today.

Enjoy your coins and collection. :)

This thread brought back my Africa memories, so sorry if this is off topic but this is where I got the coins from.

This was the lady that had the coins, she was VERY upset that I took her picture, I think she put a curse on me because she started talking very fast and guving me some very dirty looks.

Nick

Some cultures believe the camera steals the soul of the subject.