• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881-S RAW Morgan

31 posts in this topic

The photos are way too large! I can only view about 15-20% of the coin without having to scroll up and down or back and forth. You need to resize your photos before you post them.

Chris

You need a bigger monitor, Chris ;)

The pics are a bit large, but the coin looks alright from what I can tell. Welcome to the forums!

I could hook up to my 57", but then I'd fall asleep in the bedroom. This is 31" and is big enough. The photos still need to be resized.

Chris

MS63PL, might be a details from that wheel mark on the obverse.

If you press (ctrl) + (-)

it will zoom out.

Nice coin (thumbs u

I went ahead and changed the pic sizes to fit nicely onto a normal monitor, I had used the larger ones for those who prefer lotsa detail.

I appreciate the comments so far, I'm wondering what causes a wheel mark like that one? Is it something at the mint, contact with other coins, or something different?

Usually it is a form of PMD (Post-Mint-Damage) that is caused by a coin counting machine.

But can't say for sure it was PMD or even a wheel mark but that sure looks like one.

I must be blind because I don't see any wheel marks. More often than not, wheel marks are caused by the transport mechanism when silver blanks are are punched from the sheet rather than PMD from a counting machine.

Chris

it will zoom out.

I already knew that, but then the print is smaller than a no-see-um.

Chris

it will zoom out.

Chris

Then press (ctrl) + (+) to zoom in :)

it will zoom out.

Chris

Then press (ctrl) + (+) to zoom in :)

I knew that too! Maybe I should have the butler do it for me. It seems like more work than is necessary.

Perhaps, if the photos were the appropriate size, say 800x800, then you could do the zooming in and out, and my butler would have more time making my martinis and drawing my bathwater.

Chris

Usually it is a form of PMD (Post-Mint-Damage) that is caused by a coin counting machine.

But can't say for sure it was PMD or even a wheel mark but that sure looks like one.

I agree with Noow. Look at what appears to be a gash in front of Miss Liberty's neck. There appears to be a line of circles in close proximity and alignment. It looks like some sort of post mint damage to me as well. I say uncirculated details. With this said, I have seen common date materials with marks in MS holders, so a grade is possible. I would grade it MS63-MS64.

Look at what appears to be a gash in front of Miss Liberty's neck.

It looks like reed marks from another Morgan to me. Not PMD.

Chris

Look at what appears to be a gash in front of Miss Liberty's neck.

Chris

The size of that gash and the structure are too large to be from another Morgan.

Chris

The size of that gash and the structure are too large to be from another Morgan.

Not necessarily; his hypothesis is viable and that could be reed marks from another Morgan. I still don't like the mark, and agree that the coin will be penalized grade wise (i.e. net-graded) in any event.

The gash in front of Morgan's face is most likely from reed marks. Definitely not too large, and the "gearlike" look of it is classic reedmarks.

Wheel marks, also called counting machine marks, look like this (not my coin, a random picture I found on the interwebs):

20081122_1978DIke.JPG

The gash in front of Morgan's face is most likely from reed marks. Definitely not too large, and the "gearlike" look of it is classic reedmarks.

Wheel marks, also called counting machine marks, look like this (not my coin, a random picture I found on the interwebs):

20081122_1978DIke.JPG

Jason, I was thinking in terms of the parallel striations we've seen from time to time across the face of a coin. I know they were called wheelmarks, too, but I just can't find the thread.

By the way, I didn't see any indication of either (yours or my explanation of wheelmarks) on this Morgan. Maybe I'm just blind. Did you see any?

Chris

Jason, I was thinking in terms of the parallel striations we've seen from time to time across the face of a coin. I know they were called wheelmarks, too, but I just can't find the thread.

By the way, I didn't see any indication of either (yours or my explanation of wheelmarks) on this Morgan. Maybe I'm just blind. Did you see any?

Chris

Yes, those are also called wheel marks, but are from a different sort of counting machine. I found a couple of threads discussing them, but no pictures remain. They appear as very fine, parallel, light hairlines in a patch on the coin, much lighter than cleaning hairlines.

The coin in question definitely does not have counting machine marks - that is a reed mark.

Chris

Yes, those are also called wheel marks, but are from a different sort of counting machine. I found a couple of threads discussing them, but no pictures remain. They appear as very fine, parallel, light hairlines in a patch on the coin, much lighter than cleaning hairlines.

The coin in question definitely does not have counting machine marks - that is a reed mark.

If you look closely, the the gash seems to widen and shallow at the right- that is not an indication of a reed mark.

If you look closely, the the gash seems to widen and shallow at the right- that is not an indication of a reed mark.

Depends on the angle and trajectory of the coin impacting the subject coin. I've seen it before. Its got the classic reed mark look from the crenelated reeds.

Chris

Perhaps if you started posting photos of your own coins, I might be able to understand why you are prone to giving misleading advice, but for the time being, notnoow!

Chris

Chris

Perhaps if you started posting photos of your own coins, I might be able to understand why you are prone to giving misleading advice, but for the time being, notnoow!

Chris

Unfortunately, my camera is not compatible with my computer and I am too lazy to purchase a noow one. My misleading advice is hear to stay, however, as I am also too lazy to change any of my noow posts :)

Chris

Chris

Unfortunately, my camera is not compatible with my computer and I am too lazy to purchase a noow one. My misleading advice is hear to stay, however, as I am also too lazy to change any of my noow posts :)

Well then, maybe you should buy a vacuum cleaner because you are going to be hauled across the carpet whenever you're too lazy to post accurate information, and we wouldn't want to leave all that dirt on the carpet now, would we!

Chris

Chris

Chris

Well then, maybe you should buy a vacuum cleaner because you are going to be hauled across the carpet whenever you're too lazy to post accurate information, and we wouldn't want to leave all that dirt on the carpet now, would we!

Chris

Sounds like a great idea, but I am too lazy to go and buy a noow vaccum cleaner even on Black Friday. I also happen to have a security system that will protect me from people, that, say... try to break into my house and haul me across the floor hm