• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th anni versary eagles

6 posts in this topic

How do the big guys get so many sets?

I received a catalog from a coin firm in september for the new 5 coin 25 label th set, they had pictures of the coins already slabbed with proof and mint state coins pictured, the 25th anniversary label graded 70 and a price tag of 4995.00. Thats right 2 months before release and nearly 5 yes FIVE thouchoice sand dollars, I consider myself lucky I spent three hours and was able to order two sets. Why the people at the mint dont use the list of people who have eagle subscriptions get 1st choice is beyond me how do these firms know that they can offer even one set two months prior to release. Smells ROTTEN to me and any one else who was cut out should be furious.

See more journals by halfshed

Even if the mint did allow those with subscriptions to get sets first, who's to say the big companies wouldn't create an infinite number of user accounts to purchase sets such as this? If anything, I feel that if the mint did use a system such as that, it would be just that much more difficult for the average collector to purchase items such as this.

As to how the big companies can offer such deals so early on, well thats not too difficult to figure out, they offer the sets as a presale, the buyer places a deposit or full price, then the company uses those funds to locate and purchase the sets from the "scalpers" or flippers.

Another member here had submitted five sets of the ASE's and 17 out of the 25 graded MS/PF 70, so locating these coins in a 70 grade does not appear to be too difficult at this time.

I saw many of the '3 common coins' on ebay (the bullion, and MS/PF-W's), with the 25th "SET" label going for around $90-100 each in NGC MS/PF-70. So if the grade comes up short on our graded sets, we can at least fill the void with one of those. I also saw a few 68's(!) for sale about the same price as the 69's.

Regarding those early Set ads. The Cert numbers on those coins were either fakes, or coins from 20th Anniv Set. The only coin sets they ultimatly got to sell are the sets that they probably coerced each of their employees order for them(@ 5 each), and the sets they bought from others through their email campaigns, paying each a token few bucks over cost for their trouble. Shame on those baad, baad, guys! Hope they go broke!

Even if the mint did allow those with subscriptions to get sets first, who's to say the big companies wouldn't create an infinite number of user accounts to purchase sets such as this? If anything, I feel that if the mint did use a system such as that, it would be just that much more difficult for the average collector to purchase items such as this.

As to how the big companies can offer such deals so early on, well thats not too difficult to figure out, they offer the sets as a presale, the buyer places a deposit or full price, then the company uses those funds to locate and purchase the sets from the "scalpers" or flippers.

Another member here had submitted five sets of the ASE's and 17 out of the 25 graded MS/PF 70, so locating these coins in a 70 grade does not appear to be too difficult at this time.

Because the Newly created User Accounts would have a creation date which would be after the announcement of the issue.

Thanks for your feedback ,always helps to look at things fIrom a different angle l guess l just like to see real collectors get these items and not some one who would melt them if there was a profit in it. Also wanted to say congrats to Kamakazy for a great set and good luck to all, I called NGC today after reading Journals about how and how not to list items on submission forms , the nice lady there told me they received about 20,000 sets since last monday ,and l was too dammed cheap to overnite my package (ever have one of those days when you get stuck on stupid), so now maybe If I'm real good l may get them for Christmas. 7 days door to door is amazing , good job and Happy collecting