• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Sets posted by Mr. Thompson

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Who shot, who scored and who threw up an airball?

So, for the low low price of $300 one had the opportunity to purchase the 25th Anniversary Set of Silver Eagles from our beloved US Mint. That is, of course, if you had the direct dial number to one of your close friends who works at the Mint.

I loved the part where a knucklehead at the Mint said, whoops sorry, we STILL have not upgraded our programs so if you missed out tough .....BUT we will get it ironed out next time.

Didn't this happen with every other limited edition coin set sold by the Mint over the past decade? Did we not hear the same statement from them then as well? Don't bother looking it up because the answer to both questions is an absolute yes.

The Silver Eagle has been one of my favorites quite frankly. I love the design, the finish, the strike. My set of course was short only one Silver Eagle, I am sure you don't need to be told which one. Now it will be short these as well.

There is no way in hell I will buy any products from the Mint anymore. I could hardly be more disgusted with their continued lack of responsibility to those of us who have paid a premium over the years to pad their bottom line.

No more for me

Happy Collecting All

See more journals by Mr. Thompson

This is the only modern set I maintain that is still actively made by the Mint.

I, too, was shut out with my purchase. And I was the one who posted the info about the 25th Anniversary set first on this website.

IMO, It should have been max 1 set per address. And perhaps a lottery to weed out dealers.

From a newbies perspective, I love the Eagles and I just started collecting them in August. I guess I got lucky to be able to get 5 sets which are being graded this week. But I do agree that maybe they should do a lottery or restrict to 1 set. I was really ticked to see big coin dealers selling hundreds of them before I have even seen mine.

Like another said, I too love the AE series, but started my collection in the early 90s (and it's complete except for the same 95W also cited above).

I don't know anyone at the mint, nor do I have an employee's direct dial number. I just persisted online, retrying my order despite dropped sessions and broken connections until somehow it finally got on the books (just under an hour into the sale, in fact, at 12:47 p.m. EST).

My only regret is that I only ordered 4 instead of the 5 I could've had. I actually think 5 was a good limit number ... low enough to at least try and fence out the dealers yet still leaving room for buyers like me to have extra sets for family gifts this Christmas.

Does anyone really believe greedy dealers wouldn't find a way to beat a lottery or a 1-set limit. My money would still be on the dealers in either situation (with odds).

Could the mint do a better job? Certainly. But as I commented previously (though I can't seem to relocate the thread containing that comment), as a 2nd- or even 3rd-tier federal bureaucracy I'm not at all surprised they spend years waiting on funds to modernize their technology and add personnel to meet operational needs.

I suppose if I hadn't been blessed with a successful shot and score (vs. an "airball") I might be pouring out my own sour grapes here, but I didn't go into the sale with blinders on: I knew it would be a dice roll at best.

And the uncertainty persists ... my sets are in "Quality Control" at NGC, and I'm eager to see if the I'll get the 69-70 results I'm hoping for. Notice I say "hoping" ... not "expecting" or "demanding". The mint's production operation could easily be as poor as their order processing. But that's just one of the passes in rolling the dice.

But all along my 'plan B' was to accept not getting a set from mint and having to pay a premium later to a dealer or another collector. When I started collecting AEs in the 90s, I actually passed up on a chance to buy an MS70 '95W for $1,800.00. I was too naive to realize what a deal that would turn out to have been.

Somehow I think this is all related to why we call it "collecting", isn't it?

Very happy with NGC's grading and the Mint's production quality! Of four sets submitted, here are the results - 18 70s (including all 8 of the key specimens) and just 2 69s on no-mint-mark bullion coins:

001 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

002 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

003 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

004 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

005 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

006 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

007 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

008 2011 W EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

009 2011 P EAGLE REVERSE PF 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70

010 2011 P EAGLE REVERSE PF 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70

011 2011 P EAGLE REVERSE PF 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70

012 2011 P EAGLE REVERSE PF 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 PF 70

013 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

014 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 69

015 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 69

016 2011 EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

017 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

018 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

019 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

020 2011 S EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET S$1 MS 70

No complaints here! Thank you NGC, and thank you US Mint!