• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

get my teletrade box but have questions!!!

8 posts in this topic

price guide

good morning

i get my first teletrade and pcgs coins, very please with this 1954 proof set purchase.

before i buy a coin i always check the price listing for that coin in the ngc or pcgs price guide. but when i put that set in my ngc registry set listing the value is much less than pcgs ($330 for pcgs and $236.25 for ngc)

question #1 where should i check the value of the coin before i buy?

question #2 is there much difference of price and value from pcgs and ngc coin

thank you for any inside that may help me

patrick

See more journals by pgera3

Normally the price in the Numismedia price guide is what should show up in your registry set. Yes, there is a difference is guide value for NGC coins vs PCGS coins. I will not go into is this justified or not but PCGS coins normally list for more than NGC coins. When you do register your PGCS coin into a NGC registry set it will reflect NumisMedia Value. Hope this helps some

I will just add one other little piece.

In general, the price guides are RETAIL prices, not WHOLESALE prices. If you go to an in person coin show, and a dealer has a slabbed coin in his case, he will usually have a "retail" price on the coin. This is just an asking price, and is a rough ball park figure. This price is usually negotiable for a more common coin. If you purchase a coin on eBay or Teletrade (a common and readily available coin), the coin will usually sell for wholesale prices, which can be roughly anywhere from 20% to 80% of the retail price.

If a coin is relatively common or readily available, one really rarely should be paying "retail" prices for a coin. If the coin has a particularly sharp strike, nice toning, or is rare/scarce, then one almost always pays MORE than what these retail guides (PCGS or Numismedia) would list.

As has been said many many times, price guides are just that: guides. For insurance purposes, you can use PCGS price guide values. When I am purchasing a coin, I use a combination of resources.

1. PCGS and Numismedia values (also may want to check RedBook prices)

2. Heritage, Teletrade, and Stacks/Bowers realized prices for similar items

3. eBay completed auctions realized prices for similar items.

4. Common sense judging the pluses and minuses of how the item you are considering compares to the "similar" comparison items which have sold (this is an adjustment for the variability between similarly graded items with very different "looks" -- toning, luster, CAC, strike, etc).

5. How badly I want the coin, and how it appeals to me. Sometimes I just want a particular coin bad enough, and it "speaks to me" enough that I am willing to pay a hefty premium for it. This is where the price-guides can just be thrown out the window. ;)

I hope this helps a little.

-Brandon

I try not to pay retail when ever possible. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay more if you really want it. As stated, the look, strike and rarity will factor into the price that many people want for their coins. Most auction houses have a lot of very smart bidders that usually pay around greysheet prices give or take.

Get a recent copy of The Greysheet. This is an up to date wholesale resource price guide that dealers use for site seen coins. The blue sheet is also available on the same site.Same concept. It is a wholesale resource for site unseen coins. These both are compiled of the latest prices coins are selling for the given time. (dealer bid and dealer ask), They are updated constantly. You will see that the cost of the subscription will save you lots of money and aggravation in the long run as to not have you over pay for given coins. Their web site is www.greysheet.com. In this site you will find many subscription options. I believe it is well worth the price.

Heritage auctions, www.ha.com also has a very large auction archive to research coin prices across the whole spectrum. They require that you register as a bidder to use the archive.It also costs nothing to register as a bidder. Just remember that no one has to sell you a coin at bid prices.Some have low reserves and some have high reserves set. It is solely up to the seller how much they are willing to accept for their coins. Happy hunting.

HI PAT

I TO WONDERED WHY?

THE SAME COIN POP IN PCGS VERSES THE SAME COIN POP IN NGC COULD BE A LOT OF DIFFERENCE,HENCE THE DIFFERENT PRICING.

I will just add one other little piece.I hope this helps a little.

-Brandon

Brandon,

You hit it right on the head, excellent analysis. Have a Happy Turkey Day.

Later,

Malcolm

I agree with Brandon- good advice.

I have found the NGC price to be the closest to actual coin-store retail prices- compared to all the price guides I have used- Coin Values, Red Book and PCGS. The suggestion of getting the greysheet is also a very good idea. I you don't want to pay for the subscription just buy one one every month or two.

I find the PCGS price guide to be at times absurdly unreal compared to the market place. I have 3 PF70 proof dimes from PCGS that are priced from 150.00 to 350.00 each in the PCGS price guide- yet I won them on Ebay for less than 35.00 each.

I have found that PCGS coins do sell for more than the same NGC graded coin- and also have a better resale value. Still there is no reason to ever pay PCGS price guide prices unless the coin is rare or rare in a particular grade. Supply and demand cans rule in auctions. Search the coin you are looking for in EBAY and see how many are available. The more available the less likely i would be willing to pay full retail.

My basic rule of thumb is I will pay about 50- 70% of the NGC price guide for online auctions, but expect to pay around 85-100% of the NGC price at a coin dealer or coin show.

Here is an example- I won 2 MS66 Red PCGS wheat cents on EBAY- total cost with shipping was 33.00- PCGS price guide showed 90.00- NGC price guide 56.75

Hope this helps!