• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 MORE QUESTION posted by cemonice

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I am still new at this, compared to alot of you guys/gals, so bare with me....

I have seen alot of certified AU Morgans from the 1884-S series. Mainly because i have been researching to see if i need to certify my coin, see prior post, or buy an already certified one for my Morgan Date set.

Anyway, what exactly do TPG's look for in different levels of AU?

I only ask this because i have seen some AU58's that look no better then my 50's. I have also seen some 53's or 55's that easily look 58! Someone help me out.....

Following this are two pics of exaples of what i mean

The first one is an NGC certified 58 that looks not even good enough to be 50, IMO. then a PCGS 55 in the next that only grades 55 and looks WAY better then the 58.

I am not directing this towards NGC, it just happens to be the two examples i picked out, I have found both sides of the spectrum for both TPG's...

See more journals by cemonice

To best answer your question, I feel that you would have a much better understanding of what the TPGs look for if you purchase the ANA Grading Standards book. I, myself can't tell you exactly what they look for off the top of my head, but I too keep a copy of that book around as well. I currently keep both the 3rd and 6th editions as the 3rd edition tends to be a bit more detailed on some of the series.