• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGA & NSA Slabs???

9 posts in this topic

So I'm looking at some 1981 TY2 SBA's on ebay, wanna fill a Dansco hole, but they are in some off the wall slabs, NGA/NSA (Numismatic Guaranteed Authentication Company). Of course they are PR70's but claim to be Clear "S". So how much of a chance do you think that any of these are TY2??

Unless the seller can provide large enough photos of the "S" to verify it is the type 2, i would be very tentative, or only pay PF68 Type 1 money for it. :)

Unfortunately, I bought about $80 worth of this junk. I was very new to buying slabbed coins (I still am!), but I learned a lot from this mess. I tried to re-sell the coins, explaining that I purchased them as certified coins, but was trying to sell them as nice looking coins, but that I could not vouch for the certification. eBay yanked my listing because I cannot mention any name other than a recognized name like PCGS, or NGC. Sigh.... I realized that I purchased these as "hyped up", but sure enough, other than the picture, and the phrase "certified", and "perfect", the seller was very careful.

I broke the 6 coins that I had out of the holders and sold them in flips. On a couple of the coins, I only received a couple of bucks. I lost about $60 on the learning experience!

I learned a new phrase: "basement slab". Again, sigh....