• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coins do you enjoy collecting, even though you think they are rather ugly?

12 posts in this topic

What coins, or what series of coins, do you like to collect-- even though you think the design is rather unattractive? And I would appreciate a story about why you like that coin.

Ikes. I like them because they are a modern-day dollar with heft. They can also be a bit attractive if found with few marks and nice Mint lustre. Great question!

Hoot

I'll second the Ike vote. I'll also throw in a vote for the lowly proof SBA. I have a feeling these are rather underappreciated and with 2 key hard to find varities, will be a very interesting set in the future.

Michael

Ditto about the Ikes. I bought a complete uncirculated set housed in a Dansco album about a year ago for only $200. Very good bargain for a complete silver dollar collection.

Ikes also, and State Quarters. Like everyone in the free world, I put together a nice album set of SQ's, even though the last low relief redesign (spaghetti hair) of Washington's bust is an abomination, and many of the reverse designs lack imagination. JMO Some of the reverses are attractive.

When the clad Washington was issued I considered it an abomination. The design was never exactly high art and was littered with too much writing and a rather mundane design. The eagle didn't appear entirely natural. Worst of all with the clads was that they replaced good honest money with junk which was obviously designed to confuse users into believing that they too were good coin. This was accomplshed by maintaining the same design and by copying even the electromechanic signature of the silver version. Of course there was always the tinny sound they made when dropped and the tell-tale copper edge to give away the deception.

There were many great reasons to ignore these coins when they were issued, but among the best was that the early releases were obviously being hoarded in huge numbers. The coin hobby had been revolving around recent date coins for years in rolls bags and mint issued set. There was a mind set that the hobby's growth over the last five years was going to continue indefinitely and that all those future collectors would clamor for rolls of 1964 cents and 1958 nickels. This market was greatly overheated by huge speculative demand and despite its collapse as the new coins were coming out there was still ample evidence that even the clads were catching some of the hoarders attention. Over the years it became obvious that there was no collector interest in the series and most of these rolls and bags were released back into circulation. Even today the '65 issue is one of a mere handfull which can be found in original rolls.

I initially became interested in actually collecting these in 1972 when it was announced that the fed and mint were going to start rotating their stocks of coin. Previous to this it wasn't unusual to see massive releases of old clads. These were of course uncirculated coin that had just gotten stuck in the distribution system. Some of the 1965 quarters weren't released until 1975 when the fed completed rotating their stock for the first time! There were also a lot of 68-D, '69-D, '70, and '72-D issues coming out as late as 1975.

While my initial interest was solely a speculative interest over years of watching, learning and chasing these coins down I've learned to appreciate them for what they are rather than a mere investment or just junk coins. The design will never be seen as high art but it is actually pretty good for what it is. It looks American and this is one of the more important things for any US coin design. Eagles do actually assume this position and small change obviously can't contain large amounts of silver in the modern age. (the 30 billion quarters in circulation would represent more than a quarter of all the silver in the world) Many of the early issues were very poorly struck but in many cases thirty five years of wear have hidden many of their faults and weaknesses so they just look more worn than they really are. While many issues are still difficult to locate in well made and well preserved condition, this just makes looking for them that much more fun.

This really applies to most of the post 1965 issues except that I've always liked the Ike reverse and have grown to like the obverse.

Cladking,

Outstanding post! I would encourage you to "beef it up" and submit it for publication in Coin World or Numismatic News . I'm sure that most would find it highly informative. It blows one's mind to think that one quarter of all of the world's silver would cover just one year's issue of modern quarters.

p.s. I'm a 1965 issue smirk.gif which means that I graduated high school in 1983. If I only knew then I certainly would have hoarded boucou rolls of quarters. Can you imagine the huge premium on the D and especially the P quarters! That would have been a speculator's dream.

Since neither a 1982 nor a 1983 mint set were issued, why do the '83 dates command such a substantial premium over the '82 dates? Any idea?

Victor

Since neither a 1982 nor a 1983 mint set were issued, why do the '83 dates command such a substantial premium over the '82 dates? Any idea?

Victor

EZ_E: Thank you.

Numismatic News did a series of articles on the difficulty of finding '82 quarters starting in April/May of 1985. This had the effect of getting collectors to put aside many AU and slider Unc coins from circulation. It's likely that this was early enough that some uncs still in the system might have been caught. There was a pervasive rumor that an entire pallet of '82-D quarters was discovered at the Kansas City fed in the summer of '85. Of course one would expect "P" mint quarters in Kansas City but "D" mint wouldn't be a huge surprise. There could also have been a little "First Year Issue" effect with the '82; people may have set more aside since it was the first year with no mint sets.

I've long suspected that a primary reason is speculation. People have simply picked up on the fact that the '83-P is extremely tough so they want to set some aside just in case. While the number of these surviving in unc is quite small it is likely still greater than the number of serious collectors. This would imply the the current wholesale of over $900 might have at least a small speculative component. It is and has been more difficult to find true unc examples of the '82-P. Au's are quite common for this one, however. In nice attractive choice unc the '82-P appears to be twice as rare as the '83-P. The '83-D is probably underrated too, though not a lot. The '82-D is far and away the most available of the bunch but is by no means common.

I pick up circulated sheild nickels sometimes, even though they are considered ugly by most. I enjoy the history I guess.

Cladking,

Once again, your post is over and above! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Your explanation makes perfect sense and, by golly, I just don't have anything to add. blush.gif

I suppose one could say that the Flowing Hair coins, which include the Chain and Wreath cents as well as the silver half dime, half dollar and dollar, are not very attractive. Lord knows the skinny eagle on the reverse got enough bad press in its day.

Still the crudeness of these coins add to their collector interest IMO.