• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just wondering!!! posted by CHRISTOS

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What's wrong with the 2011(w) silver eagle??

Just wondering....Does anybody knows why is NGC not adding the 2011(W)struck at the West Point Mint silver eagle, since they have the 2011(s)struck at the San Fransico mint added on that set!

I send an e-mail to NGC and they never replied!

9758.jpg

See more journals by CHRISTOS

There's nothing wrong with the 2011(W) Silver Eagle, except perhaps that the special label designating it as such is pure marketing.

Assuming you mean a set such as Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, the ostensible reason the set doesn't have a slot for the explicitly labeled "2011(W)" coin is that the standard "2011" slot is implicitly for the bullion issue struck at the West Point facility (and bearing no mint mark).

Having said that, if you click through the set's "2011" and "2011-W" links, there appears to be confusion at NGC regarding which coins should be eligible for these slots.

Specifically, the current score tables appear to permit the special Uncirculated collector coin with "W" mint mark in what is supposed to be the "2011" pure bullion slot (i.e. no mint mark, not producted on burnished planchets).

Similarly, the "2011-W" slot, which should be for the special Uncirculated collector coin with "W" mint mark (producted on burnished planchets) appears to permit the regular bullion coin produced at West Point (and designated as "2011(W)").

NGC needs to clarify and straighten out coin eligibility for the "2011" and "2011-W" slots because they aren't consistent with comparable slots for the years 2006, 2007, and 2008 (there were no special Uncirculated collector coins with "W" mint mark in 2009 or 2010).

Beijim

I had posed the same question to NGC a month ago. Their response "NGC has no current plans to add a slot for this coin, you may add your coin in the 2011 MS Silver Eagle slot at this time".

The Original 2011 Bullion ASE, though having No Mint Mark was minted at West Point. Therefore, this coin is technically a (W) coin. The "(S)" version of the ASE, though similarly appearing with No Mint Mark, was a Bullion coin actually proved to have been minted at the San Francisco Mint. Since all the "regular" bullion versions of the ASE are minted at West Point, the "(W)Struck at West Point Mint" is the Same as the first coin.

The "(W)" label was invented by someone like those Coin Vault people to make the coin appear to have been minted under similar circumstances as the "(S)" coin. It's the equivalent of the Liberty; Brown; or Early Release label-all being the same coin, and don't warrant a seperate slot in the NGC Competative Sets.

As Beijim implied, it was a marketing ploy. Any one with enough coins and $$$ can have their own proprietary label created by a grading service.

I forgot to add this to my last Blurb,

The "(W)" Label is being sought by some collectors who are assembling "Label Sets" of the ASE's- These are the same coin with different labels, which is apparently growing in popularity. Some of these Sets can be viewed in the NGC Custom Set Registry.

I had posed the same question to NGC a month ago. Their response "NGC has no current plans to add a slot for this coin, you may add your coin in the 2011 MS Silver Eagle slot at this time".

The Original 2011 Bullion ASE, though having No Mint Mark was minted at West Point. Therefore, this coin is technically a (W) coin. The "(S)" version of the ASE, though similarly appearing with No Mint Mark, was a Bullion coin actually proved to have been minted at the San Francisco Mint. Since all the "regular" bullion versions of the ASE are minted at West Point, the "(W)Struck at West Point Mint" is the Same as the first coin.

The "(W)" label was invented by someone like those Coin Vault people to make the coin appear to have been minted under similar circumstances as the "(S)" coin. It's the equivalent of the Liberty; Brown; or Early Release label-all being the same coin, and don't warrant a seperate slot in the NGC Competative Sets.

As Beijim implied, it was a marketing ploy. Any one with enough coins and $$$ can have their own proprietary label created by a grading service.

I have an Uncirculated A.S.E. with the "W" mintmark which is the last slot/ had it before this 5 set release.