• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antique coin cabinets

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me find some infomation on these. I have never seen a good picture of one and have only heard of them being discussed in reference to old collections that were stored in them. I would love to own one of these. Maybe someone could direct me to a picture of one that I could download. When ever I go into antique stores and ask about them all I get is blank stares

I was looking for one last year and found a couple of antique ones on EBAY. Also Gerstner makes some great wood multi-drawer chests (try GerstnerUSA.com). Also, some of the old antique dental cabinets would be excellent for coins.

THe reason I did not pursue it is that I caught wind of a fact/rumour that the gasses omitted by wood and the stains or preservatives put into the wood (especially oak), created unattractive toning or deterioration of certain non-gold coins. The security issue of keeping coins at home was also a consideration.

Any other thoughts on this would be welcome, as I still think it would be great be able to see your coins by pulling out some drawers.

Well - I don't have a handle on any of the antiques right off - but there are still those who make them. Of course it would be wise to consider what Chippewa said. You should also consider what they used to call cabinet wear - slide marks produced on coins by their storage in these cabinets. But in modern day coin holders - this could be avoided. Don't know if the same can be said about certain toning effects. But the powder-coated metal ones should not have that problem.

These links may provide you with some idea of what it is you are looking for.

Mahogany Coin Cabinets

Pel Products

Coin Accessories

The Woodcrafting Co.

Wow. That is an awsome list of sites. Thanks a lot. I guess all of the cases assume that people collect coins and not plastic slabs, eh? It would be nice if someone had a slab storage system more attractive than plastic boxes or, even worse, Intercept Shield boxes.

I have not seen an antique coin cabinet, but I do build new coin cabinets from wood.

It is true that there is a risk of toning your coins with wooden cabinets. But this can be reduced. I use an archival type glue, my cabinets are not air tight and I use a water based finish that dries inert.

Wood type is important also. Oak is the worst, mahogany and cherry are better but as has been said powder coated steel is the best. Not too attactive but the safest.

I do make all kinds of storage for coins and have make some for slabs.

If someone is looking for something special I can try to help.