• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Digi Cam for 500 - 1000 bucks?

14 posts in this topic

Bruce,

I just bought a Kodak EasyShare CX6330. It takes beautiful pictures and even a close up of a flower turned out gorgeous. However, It does not work well with imaging coins.

Bruce,

I bought a Fuji FinePix S7000 about a month or so ago. The camera has 6.3 million pixels and takes great photos of coins. It has two macro settings, the first is normal macro and has a focal range of 3.9 in. to 2.6 ft. The second setting is super macro and has a focal range of 0.4 in to 7.9 in., this allows you to get extreme close ups if you want. The camera is also outstanding for all around use. Price about $600 - $700 depending on where you buy.

John

I've got a Canon G5 and have been very happy with it. The camera, a 1GB flash card, and a bunch of extras (case, tripod, flash card reader, etc) ran around $750. It's a 5MP and in reality you don't need that many. Unless you want to print out an image the size of a poster a 3MP camer is more than enough.

It has so many features that I haven't even begun to figure out 99% of them. I'm waiting for LamminL (Mrs. JamminJ) to figure out hers and teach me. smile.gif

Without reading the manual it was pretty easy to set up and start snapping a few photos.

Here are some photos I took with the camera. These were taken in pretty bad light and I held the slab in my hand about 18 inches away. I didn't have time to take proper pictures. There were just "quick and dirty" photos. The yellow tint was due to a reflection off the slab from where I was sitting. When I've actually had time to set up a proper place to take a picture of a coin with good lighting and no background reflection, they have come out really nice.

The slabs were imaged on a scanner and the coin only pictures were taken with the camera.

Russian 20K

Irish Penny

1935 Brazil 2000R

This is how I have to find out your having an auction? 893frustrated.gif

You're not your. It's a pet peeve of yours. 27_laughing.gif

I'll add a link to my sig. I was planning on doing that, but got busy at work.

You're not your. It's a pet peeve of yours. 27_laughing.gif

Don't make me regret the massive bid I just left on one of your items. cool.gif

The scans on that russian coin look like the pitts... but the pics look alot better smile.gif I like the pics it took.. for such a short time...

I'm very surprised at how well the images came out considering you just hand held them. Nice photos, Greg.

p.s. Then did you use Adobe or what software to line the obverse and reverse together?

I'm very surprised at how well the images came out considering you just hand held them. Nice photos, Greg.

p.s. Then did you use Adobe or what software to line the obverse and reverse together?

Yep, I used Adobe Photoshop to put the obverse and reverse into one picture and reduce the image size from 2.5MB each to a nice modem friendly size. I also use it to correct the contrast/lighting/coloring. I use the auto correct feature to do this. I almost never play with the manual settings.

The camera came with some photo editing software, but why bother when you have the full version of Photoshop.

Looked at the Canon E05 6MP With Lens.... That one is a nice camera... Also looked at the Sony Cybershot... 8 MP (I think).. But the lens is not interchangable...... I am still going to keep looking... but the choices are not bad so far....

I got my new digi cam today... the Canon Digital Rebel... Just got home from work... So I will post some pics here in a minnute...

I got my new digi cam today... the Canon Digital Rebel... Just got home from work... So I will post some pics here in a minnute...

17 hours later... sleeping.gif

stooges.gif27_laughing.gif