• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is it a dime or a penny?

2 posts in this topic

my father owns a coin which we're thinking of selling but we need to be pointed in the right direction. Do we sell it on Ebay or a coin shop or a collector? How do we find a collector? What is it worth? How can we be sure to get our money's worth? etc.

On one side, it's a dime and the other it's a penny and the thickness of a coin is that of a regular coin (in other words, it hasn't been stuck together with superglue and so it's a minting error).

Help!

ANY advice would be helpful!

Hi,

I would recommend finding an NGC authorized coin dealer in your area to examine your coin to help determine whether it is authentic or not or if undetermined, to send the coin in for authentication and grading, as many of these pieces are easy to look authentic at first glance and commonly found to be created in the aftermarket. Some telltale signs could be closely examining the rim area to look for any small split between the two sides, or around the inner rim area on each side.

As far as what would be your best route to sell the coin, I would recommend getting as many opinions as possible from the NGC authorized dealer, and perhaps posing a question to our members here in the U.S. coins forum, and determining your best strategy for what you are trying to achieve.

p.s. To find your closest NGC authorized dealer, on the NGC homepage, click on Services & Submission, then on the left side, how to submit.

Hope this helps you out