• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS vs AU..

16 posts in this topic

This maybe covered in coin collecting 101 but what are the differences between an AU coin and a MS coin? If I go to the bank and get a roll of quarters that they got straight from the mint is that considered AU or MS? Thanks for the info

The mint no longer sends rolls to the banks. Thy send coins out in bulk to services like Brinks and they roll them. For the most part these would grade MS. They can have lots of small contact marks and still be called MS. Some coins may get a bit of rub in this process and might grade AU.

As a normal, AU coins will have a tiny amount of wear on the high points.

Hope that helps.

Check out the link in my signature.

I am not certain that link adequately describes the difference.

Might it be more helpful to describe(show) the difference between MS 60 and AU58?

Another useless Curlis thought.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Might it be more helpful to describe(show) the difference between MS 60 and AU58?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

If you read the entire series and still don't understand AU vs MS, please tell me what I need to include.

Perhaps he didn't click on the links inside the link. Let me help him out.

What You Need to Know About Wear

It is about the best answer to the AU vs MS question I have ever seen on a coin forum. Anything more, and you are going to need to pay tuition John Curlis.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

If you read the entire series and still don't understand AU vs MS, please tell me what I need to include.

I kneel chastised and with sadness that my words may have caused a slight misunderstanding of intent, and more importantly cause others to view me as a little slow (probably true).

I intended to convey that for some of us, words and pictures are not always a good teaching method, and showing the difference in hand between a 58 (or a 55 for that matter) and a 60 would help-everything below being AU and everything above being MS.

Then of course is the inevitable discussion that occurs- are the coins being used as the teaching method accurate/is it market grading/is it ANA grading, etc.

That aside, Thru my Fault, Thru my Fault, Thru my most Grevious Fault...(Genuflection optional).

With Thanks and Respectfully,

John

Perhaps he didn't click on the links inside the link. Let me help him out.

What You Need to Know About Wear

It is about the best answer to the AU vs MS question I have ever seen on a coin forum. Anything more, and you are going to need to pay tuition John Curlis.

Fellow Forum Member, Good Morning.

Yes, I did open the link.

Please see my Post and apology above.

I do appreciate all the help offered and will try very hard to be a good student and commentator in the future.

I would however appreciate being excused from the Tuition Offer.

Oh, and John is acceptable, in any future commentary, unless it becomes neccessary to be a stern Teacher.

Respectfully, always,

John Curlis

Grading is an appearance standard, not an "audit trail."

Uncirculated = no indications of the coin having been in circulation. Could apply to coins from new rolls or bags, or something obtained in a store. It is appearance that counts. (Mint State - MS - implies condition as it left the mint which is always “uncirculated;” Unc implies non-circulation by appearance regardless of the coin's prior locations or treatment.)

About Uncirculated = a coin with very slight indications of circulation such as friction, broken luster, and so forth. The dumbed-down version is "AU 58" but there is really only one "AU." Anything more noticeable than "slight" is EF of some sort.

Grading is an appearance standard, not an "audit trail."

Uncirculated = no indications of the coin having been in circulation. Could apply to coins from new rolls or bags, or something obtained in a store. It is appearance that counts. (Mint State - MS - implies condition as it left the mint which is always uncirculated; Unc implies non-circulation by appearance regardless of the coin's prior locations or treatment.)

About Uncirculated = a coin with very slight indications of circulation such as friction, broken luster, and so forth. The dumbed-down version is "AU 58" but there is really only one "AU." Anything more noticeable than "slight" is EF of some sort.

The original intent and point of my Post has been described, much more elegantly, by the Master.

For this, I Thank You, and it may also assist in getting me out of the Shooting Gallery.

With Respect,

John

The original intent and point of my Post has been described...

...and very well done, too! (All I did was simplify.)

This maybe covered in coin collecting 101 but what are the differences between an AU coin and a MS coin? If I go to the bank and get a roll of quarters that they got straight from the mint is that considered AU or MS? Thanks for the info

I suppose when we get right down to it we all have slightly different ways of describing it. Here's my way, see if this works for you. A circulated coin is a coin with evidence of circulation wear on the face of the coin. Thus, an AU coin simply has very little evidence of circulation wear on the face of the coin.

as an aside note.... One way of determining if a 19th century proof coin is pristine is to lightly touch the edge of a reeded coin. The reeds will be almost knife-sharp. This dulls very quickly during handling.

as an aside note.... One way of determining if a 19th century proof coin is pristine is to lightly touch the edge of a reeded coin. The reeds will be almost knife-sharp. This dulls very quickly during handling.

Does it dull quickly during the process of being shoved into a TPG holder?

Any handling except for the most careful, will dull the sharpness of a silver or gold proof. Newly struck modern quarters and halves also have very sharp reeding - but by the time they are bumped around in counting and bagging, the sharpness is considerably reduced.

The Authentication and Grading companies will have to respond to your main question.