• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(eBay, FINAL HOURS) 1798 Draped Bust cent, amazing AU+ details, recently dug

2 posts in this topic

Thanks for lookin'!

Here's the eBay auction.

This coin was recently found by one of my detecting buddies, If I had been the one who dug it, I might not be selling it. I tend to be rather sentimental about my own detector finds. (I've only dug one Draped Bust cent myself, and sadly, it's a corroded slug.) You've gotta admit this one is nothing short of spectacular for a dug example.

Here's the original forum discussion (ATS) about this coin, and pictures of some of the other stuff found that day.

17981cAUdetails-obvbefore.jpg

17981cAUdetails-revbefore.jpg

Those first two pictures above were taken on the first day, just after the coin was found.

The last two photos show the coin after a couple of days in olive oil. I deliberately oriented them to show the porosity, such as it is. It's really only the tiniest bit of microporosity- a bit of faint etching in the fields. The rest of the surfaces are glossy, even without the olive oil. I ordered some Renaissance Wax (which is popular with ancient coin collectors) and when that came in, I removed the olive oil and treated it with an application of the Renaissance Wax. Such is the sum total of the conservation that has been done on this piece.

17981cAUdetails-obvafter.jpg

17981cAUdetails-revafter.jpg