• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW from Central States!

15 posts in this topic

The first is a PCGS MS65 1874 with arrows dime. The sea foam green rim toning is much more vibrant in person. I almost bought one of those "coin domes" for taking better pictures of toned coins, perhaps I should have.

Sscn2323.jpg

Sscn2320.jpg

The second is an 1812 Bust Half in PCGS MS64.

Sscn2329.jpg

Sscn2327.jpg

The third is a quite visually astounding 1897 dime in PCGS MS66. Any scratches you see are on the holder.

Sscn2334.jpg

Sscn2335.jpg

The fourth is an 1836 dime in PCGS MS64 which exhibits dark phosphorescent blue toning that covers most of the obverse, which can't be seen in the picture. The luster on this coin is quite amazing.

Sscn2336.jpg

Sscn2337.jpg

And finally, a Type III 1862 trime in NGC MS67*, that confirms my complete insanity once and for all. insane.gif If there ever was a coin that personified the term "monster", this one is it.

Sscn2341.jpg

Sscn2342.jpg

Android,

Wow! 893whatthe.gif I was enjoying the viewing until that trime popped up. Incredible. My jaw almost literally dropped to the floor.

You have an impeccable taste in coins, sir! (And that is from the heart. Very, very impressive examples.)

I was really enjoying your first two coins until I saw that ABSOLUTELY STUNNING silver. I had to go back and look to remember all that came before it. What a coin, and picture. thumbsup2.gif

It still looks like the 62 is a out of collar strike????? Anyone else think so?

No. Trimes are very thin coins, and sit deeply in the NGC holder. I believe what you are seeing is an effect from the angle that the photo was taken and the edge of the NGC insert is blocking the view of part of the coins edge.

John

John,

It doesn't look like a shadow to me. I would like to see the edge of this coin. It could have a railroad rim to it. That ridge doesn't apprear to run the full circumference of the coin. I have seen thousands out of collar strikes like this.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Nice freakin' coins! shocked.gif

I believe I know where the 1897 dime came from and I simply adore the piece in-hand. As the others have stated, the trime is killer! It's even got a wonderful obvious clash on the obverse! smile.gif

Not a clash. It is where the reverse is actually pressing through to the obverse when struck becuse these coins are so thin. Sort of common on the trimes. Still very neat looking to see them with colors showing the patterns from the reverse side of the coin to the obverse side. There does look like a clash mark just above the right portion of the star about mid way. It looks like the tip of the arrow showing.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Thanks for the compliments everyone! cool.gif Spending three days at a national coin show can be dangerous! insane.gif

Errorist, the trime pictured does exhibit die clash on the obverse, which adds a unique personality to this coin. You are correct that die clashes occur frequently on trimes. smile.gif