• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The lucky gold angel

17 posts in this topic

the reverse -

476121-1848-A%2020%20francs%20rev.JPG

This is particularly nice example - graded MS65 by NGC cloud9.gif The coin has Prooflike fields and is relatively mark free. It is in one of the old NGC holders and I doubt it would have any trouble making MS66 if re-graded.

edit - the squiggle on the reverse above the F is a piece of lint. Gotta check those dang slabs before taking pics frown.gif

This design by Dupre was first used on the Louis D'Or of Louis XVI in 1789 and continued to be used through 1793 on various denominations. The legend and stories of how this coin brings its owners luck began with Dupre himself who credited the coin with helping him escape the guillotene. And for over 200 years the stories continue.

Even today some French fishermen will not venture out without a lucky gold angel in their pocket. Herman Goering, the mastermind of many of the Third Reich's ideas so feared the power of this coin that he reportedly ordered his solidiers to gather all they could find. He then, so the story goes, buried literally hindreds of thousands of these coins which have not yet been found.

The stories of the ability of this coin to bring, wealth, love & happiness to its owners abound. Entire web sites are dedicated to recounting stories of its power.

In 1848 - at the beginning of the French Second Republic, the coin design was again used but for a very short period. The design lasted only 2 years and was not to reappear until 1871.

589a8c7163d66_476121-1848-A20francsrev.JPG.9047f3a50eee8ab654cd0ebcbd8c0dc3.JPG

As I was sitting here reading the story behind your fine looking gold piece I thought to myself "boy, that looks familiar". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Then, glancing to my left I spotted my 18th century Krause catalog which features on its cover that very same angel on a big silver 1st republic silver coin!

A great design deserves a reprise, perhaps several. Since the US seems incapable of designing attractive coins these days (Rhode Island quarter reverse excepted) I wish we'd follow the Frech example and bring back some old favorites.

Great coin, nice write up, thanks for sharing!

-JamminJ

I WANT ONE!!!! frown.gif

They're surprisingly affordable, usually just a bit above bullion value. For instance, this one might go for less than $100.

-JamminJ

Ok, from what I gather the design was available:

1789 thru 1793 (beaucoup bucks I imagine)

1848 - for 2 years (affordable?)

reappear in 1871 thru?

Your link Jammin was to the latter. So should I just settle for that?

I probably wouldn't buy the one I linked to, it was just for a sample of what's out there.

The design appeared on several different coins of the First Republic in both silver and gold. Most of the gold ones run several thousand in XF, and the silver ones usually run a few hundered in XF ($275 for the cheapest one)

Afterwards it was used on gold 20 francs:

The 1848-1849 variety catalogs $500 in UNC.

The 1871-1898 variety with no edge lettering has a couple of tougher dates but most list for $120-$135 in UNC.

The 1899-1900 have an additional legend around the edges and are listed for about the same as the other cheapies.

If I we're buying one I'd focus in in the Third Republic coins and would probably troll e-bay looking for a certified one, maybe in a 65-66 holder.

-JamminJ

Since we're on a French kick, here's my most recent purchace of a coin from there:

477274-centime.JPG

It's and 1848 centime of the short lived Second Republic. It came from the same old time collection that Greg and I have been plowing through at our local coin shop. No historical write up for now as I'm multi-tasking tonight but I'll try to add one tomorrow.

-JamminJ

Thanks for your research, I didn't mean to send you off on homework, but thanks.. One last question, which is the 3rd Republic?

1871-1898 or 1899 to 1900, or both?

(I think I've made up my mind that if any to search for the 1848-49.) I want a lucky coin!

Thanks for your research, I didn't mean to send you off on homework, but thanks.. One last question, which is the 3rd Republic?

1871-1898 or 1899 to 1900, or both?

(I think I've made up my mind that if any to search for the 1848-49.) I want a lucky coin!

Surprised you didn't know that. The 3rd republic was founded in 1871 at the end of the Franco-Prussian war in 1871 until France's conquest by the Nazis in 1940. They switched coin designs several times within the 3rd republic.

Official French Governments:

1st Monarchy (Ancient Regime) -1790

1st Republic 1791-1804

1st Empire 1804-1814

2nd Monarchy 1815-1848

2nd Republic 1848-1852

2nd Empire 1852-1870

3rd Republic 1871-1940

Vichy 1940-1944

4th Republic 1947-1958

5th Republic 1959-

There's more detail with many short lived temporary governements like the de Galle Provisional republic of 1944-46 or the Restored Monarch during Napoleaon's first exile neglected. Good interesting stuff if you ever want to read some history.

-JamminJ

Hmmm, most interesting. Nah, I'm not much one on dates. But that was a nice nutshell view. Thanks. Is there one book that tells it all, regarding French republic/monarchy/Empire history that you know of?

Hmmm, most interesting. Nah, I'm not much one on dates. But that was a nice nutshell view. Thanks. Is there one book that tells it all, regarding French republic/monarchy/Empire history that you know of?

Not really, most of the stuff I have is specialized to a single era. Books on Louis XIV, Napoleon I, and WW2 are quite plentiful and easily found. WW1 can be found but has often been out of print for quite a while. I've had a devil of a time finding anything worth reading on the 2nd Empire and only a single book on the reign of Louis XIII.

However, a good overview can be found in an encyclopeia, I have a 1950s Britannica and the coverage is quite good as is the bibliography.

-JamminJ

You made a lightbulb go off Jammin. I just retrieved a book from the bookshelf that was part of my coursework at the U of Colorado a hundred years ago. It's titled "Les Grandes Etapes de la Civilisation Francaise." (The great stages of French civilization.) Appears to be France in a nutshell. It's in French, but oh well, I can muddle through that. Thanks for the inspiration!

I WANT ONE!!!! frown.gif

Wait for a NICE one to come along. I have seen these for sale in average condition by the scumbag Coin Wolrd full page ad sellers. Nice ones can be found for not too much of a premium.