• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 SAE 25th anniversary mintage of 100,000 was fair in my opinion !

8 posts in this topic

Rareity is also the key

I know alot of collectors were frustrated with the overwhelming busy signals and the mint website crashing. You have to understand when thousands of ppl are trying to call at the same time, it will be luck of the draw! Same thing goes for the mint website. It took me hitting redial over and over for over 2 and a half hours straight before I got in. It was frustrating . I know the mintage may seem low to most ppl, but shouldnt there be a few rare coins to make the hobby a challenge sometimes? What is the point of coin collection if it is easy and anyone can have a perfect set?

I remember in 1995 I went to my local coin shop that I went to every week. I remember when he asked me if I wanted to buy a raw 1995-W eagle for 300.00. Silver was less than 6.00 an ounce. I looked at him like he was crazy. I told him there is no way I am paying that outragous price! I wish someone would have kicked me and said buy it .

I know there is supply and demand on the second market. These coins are almost doubled in price in one day. I know 300.00 may seem high, but in the real world 300.00 hardly goes anywhere. I can spend that at walmart with a basket full of grocies.

If you werent able to get in to the mint, I hope you can get one at a fair price. There is a lot of 25th eagle sets on ebay with no reserve. If you dont want to pay the price, then you need to go without. People are paying what they want to get it and you need to over bid them.

I remember the 2011 silver buffalo set. The 2 coin silver set. It was limited to 50,000 . You could either go to the mint website 2 hours early and buy it that way or wait till the mint opened and call them. As soon as it opened I called and got through immediatly and it was already sold out.

I was upset at myself for being lasy and waiting to call, rather than typeing all my information in. I still dont have the set, because the price is still high and I will wait to it gets to the price I want. I will get it eventually, it is a high price to pay for a perfect NGC 70 set. But I cant blame the mint because of the mintage, it makes it a rareity to have.

I believe the rareity makes it a challenge to compete any set. Even if I dont get it,because of the sell out, I will pay what I have to ,to get one !

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

Good point, however had the mint held to a lower order limit, many more collector's would have been able to get a crack at owning one of these sets at the issue price. The lower mintage just exasperated the problem.

Gary

Hear! Hear! I agree there should have been a limit so at least 100,000 people could have own this set. I guess the Mint thought that since the 5 ounce ATBs were not selling well that 5 limit per house hold would be okay. Needles to say true collectors need just one for there collection. But I do not have bad feelings for those collectors that got 5. It is what it is and they went by the rules. It is the US Mint’s fault. They had this problem with the Lincoln Chronicles and after that they said they would fix it so it will not happen again...REALLY.

Happy Collecting,

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Thank you Ed. They make the rules and I just followed them. I was there all morning forcing my order through, through the busy signals, through the crashing website. Persistance paid off not only for me but my friend as well. We each got 5. Collecting/Investing has the same rules for all. If you try hard enough you'll get the rewards. Sorry to all that didn't/won't get any.

I don't have a problem with the 100,000 mintage - as you point out, there should be limits and rarity is not a bad thing. I managed to order five sets (took almost three hours on line to get the order completed). A lower limit - two or three sets per household - would have allowed a lot more collectors to order sets and at the same time made it tougher for dealers and scammers like the guy offering 25 sets on ebay (says he has e-mail confirmations on all 25).

I considered ordering the 10th anniversary set in 1995 (with the 1995-W silver eagle) but $1000 was a lot of money in 1995. I figured I would wait a few months and buy just just the 1995-W silver eagle for $150 or so. I'm still waiting.

I have officially stopped collecting eagles and will start selling mine

as a result of this fiasco of the mint NOT having the tech to handle

this type of release this 5 per customer limit was put in place for the dealers to

pray on collectors, majority of collectors cannot afford to buy five sets

we just want one so we can keep our set complete and continued.

Mitch

Release amount was fair

the tech support to help people sucked

the option of 5 sets per order was just plain stupid on a 100,000 coin release

I truly hope others will do the same so when the dealers cant unload theirs

they will have learned a lesson of how fragile the market is

because the market is dictated by us collectors

Mitch

very bitter in N.J

Mitch

It you stopped collection eagle, because you couldnt get through, that is kind of childish. It took me 2 and a half hours straight to get through. You cannot blame the mint mint for tech support. If the mint has 25 ppl answering the phone, and that is a lot of employees, and over 5000 ppl are calling every minute, do you think everyone can be handled? The mint website went down becaues thousands of ppl like me were hitting redial on the phone while trying to order on the website.

I really doubt if they will have a hard time unloading the sets. In this set 2 rare key coins are emerging to make history, u better grab a set

Mitch

It you stopped collection eagle, because you couldnt get through, that is kind of childish. It took me 2 and a half hours straight to get through. You cannot blame the mint mint for tech support. If the mint has 25 ppl answering the phone, and that is a lot of employees, and over 5000 ppl are calling every minute, do you think everyone can be handled? The mint website went down becaues thousands of ppl like me were hitting redial on the phone while trying to order on the website.

I really doubt if they will have a hard time unloading the sets. In this set 2 rare key coins are emerging to make history, u better grab a set

I believe he is likely referencing the pathetic Technological (computer system) support. They have no excuse to not upgrade their computer and ordering system to support a much higher load of orders.

Mitch, I commend you for what you are doing. These ASEs are over priced. I have personally always looked at them as bullion with a pretty design stamped on them. Prices will be crazy for the next few months, but once the market is saturated you will see many of these sets sitting on dealer's tables with inflated price tags (just as the 20th Anniversary Set). I was at a coin show this weekend, and saw the same dealers with the three coin 20th Anniversary set that had it at last springs show. Even if every serious ASE collector gets their 5-coin set, I believe 100,000 is sufficient to more than satisfy this demand. This is enough for 1 in every 3,000 people in the U.S. to have one (including newborns and institutionalized).