• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th anniversary SOLD OUT !!! Less than 6 hours !!!!!

14 posts in this topic

It was hell !!!

I got in about noon with 5 ppl constantly calling for me. I will get my 5 sets. Even the mint website couldnt handle the volume. The price is now seriously climbing on ebay. I hope eveyone can get a set, but that will be impossible. I cant wait to see what grades I get.

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

Let the price gouging on eBay begin...

I don't regret never having started collecting these bullion trinkets...guess it's a big pay-day for the US Mint, with $300/set for $175 worth of silver at today's prices. To each his/her own I suppose. Cheers.

Let the price gouging on eBay begin...

I don't regret never having started collecting these bullion trinkets...guess it's a big pay-day for the US Mint, with $300/set for $175 worth of silver at today's prices. To each his/her own I suppose. Cheers.

I don't know about others but I received several E mails from dealers that they would pay a very high price if you get them and sell it to them.They added that you needed to order as close to noon as possible.

I was knocked off the website at 12 noon. I tried for over three hours on both the phone and P.C. and could not get back on it. I finally got back on after four hours and there was message stating that they had reached their maximum limit. You can put your name on a waiting list and you will get a confirmation number and if there is a cancellation then you will receive it on a first come basis. If you pay by check then you will get a refund. If you paid by Credit card then it will not be activated.

I am finished with them. It is bad enough that Dealers are allowed to purchase certain coins and not the General Public. In this situation the dealers found a way to manipulate the system. People can buy five and sell three or four if them and pay for the ones they keep. If the dealers are willing to pay " very high prices" then the collector that wasn't able to buy even one will go without or pay a very very very high price.

Typical "I didn't get my set (or 5 sets, or however many sets I was going to buy using different addresses) so the dealers must have had a way to manipulate the system." If they had why would they be willing to pay "very high prices"? Why not just buy them at mint price though the manipulated system? And the collector that wasn't able to buy even one will now have three options. Go without, pay the high price, or wait and see if the aftermarket will continue to support the "very very very" high price or if it will come back down to a reasonable level. It may take several years but most stuff the mint sells eventually gets back down to issue price or less.

As for the dealers being able to by certain coins and not the general public, if you want to buy them then met the requirements and they will sell them to you.

This is what the Mint wrote on Facebool:

We apologize to those of you having difficulty getting through to place orders for the 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set. Our ordering system has been running at capacity – in fact, orders were placed for approximately 25,000 sets during the first hour of sales.

We are committed to improving your online ordering experience and have recently awarded a contract that will result in a new, state of art order management system. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding as we work toward implementing this new system in 2012.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Well now at 6:43 PM eastern time I completed an order for 1 set that I wanted, I tryed at noon and for about 2 hours and then gave up.

After I read two different stories on the journals I decided someone is correct so I tried again and BOOM I got an order through.

THEY ARE NOT SOLD OUT at 6:43PM

I too had a dealer e-mail me also. If people sell to them they need their D-CKs cut off. Us small time collectors just want a fair chance to buy at what the coins sell for. The mint needs to set the limits to one on specials of 100,000 or less. Flip this to all You selfish Flippers.

To all who got in after 6 PM you order will be on hold until the Mint digests the orders. Some orders will be kicked back for over the limit or credit card problems.. Others will be put on a waiting last. That happen to a friend when he order the Lincoln pennies only to see his order change from hold to cancelled. So check your orders tomorrow to see if it is on a hold or backorder. Good luck to those who order.

Now I do not put much on this set because in five years there will be an 30th Anniversary Set. However, "based on the available information, the 25th Anniversary Set will include two very significant coins in the American Silver Eagle series. These are the 2011-P Reverse Proof Silver Eagle and the 2011-S Uncalculated Silver Eagle. Provided these coins are not offered in any other format, they would have a maximum mintage of 100,000 pieces. These two coins would become the second lowest mintage Silver Eagles across all years and formats, after the rare 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle, which has a mintage of 30,125” according to Mint News Blog.

I already own one 2011 ASE 25th Adversary PF70 and there are ASE SF MS70 2011, ASE MS70 billion out there already.

I am just mad at the mint for not have a one per house hold limit. That way it would give us honest coin collectors a chance to get one set. Not get as many as one can and sell it on the secondary market…. REALLY US MINT!!!!

I am waiting for the dreaded email from the US Mint stating my order has been cancelled or put on a wait list. I order my set at 5:54PM EST. My fingers are crossed.

Happy Collecting

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

In 2006, the 20th Anniv 3pc Silver Sets in OGP($100) sold for $475-$600 until all the "hype" faded about 6 months later. Today that same set still sells for around $400-OGP, and $500- in MS/PF-69.

For what it's worth, I can't see a 30th Anniv Set actually being issued by the Mint. There may be some 30th "Labels" offered by NGC(& the others) like they offered this year. Today's Coin Set is the "Official" 'SILVER(25TH) ANNIVERSARY SET' issued by the Mint.