• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Losing My Passion for the SAEs posted by NAS Fallon Firefighter

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Selling them off!

Hi everyone,

I just want to drop a little note letting people know my SAEs...both Proof and MS...are available for sale. I have found that I am losing my passion for the Silver Eagles.

Lately, I have been collecting them just to fill a slot and I guess, out of some sort of obligation to complete a collection I have started. That I believe, is no way to collect coins.

My passion is still high for the silver $1 modern commemoratives and I will still pursue those, especially in the 70 grade!

I try to keep the sets updated with what is available and I am not looking to make a killing on the coins. Take a look through the sets and let me know if there is anything that peeks your interest. I am sure we can come to an agreement.

Take care

Jeffrey

See more journals by NAS Fallon Firefighter

I had the same misgivings about the hobby, but the other way around than you. I lost interest in the commems, rather than the Eagles. Through the late 90's til Last year, I had EVERY MS & Proof of the silver versions(Couldn't afford gold), both buying New issues as they came out, and playing catch-up with prior issues, I didn't bother having them graded-I just wanted to have a complete set to pass on to my kids. Ultimately, with a few exceptions, I saw how cheap I was able to buy most of the older issues-both from Dealers and on ebay, at Less than the issue prices. In 2010, for a number of reasons, I found myself and family in dire financial woes, forcing me to liquidate much of my coin holdings, only to see how much More money I had LOST, over the commems I had bought, where I found myself selling Many of them at no more than the Spot Silver value(in the $20-$28/oz range. Meanwhile, my eagles were at a slightly higher premium, and since 2008- Slightly even goes for the Grade 70's. So I dumped a couple hundred commems, and a few eagles to raise cash, and only kept my precious couple of ASE sets. I would still need to hit Lotto to buy a 1995W Proof 69. Aahh, F'-it! For now, that's keeping it simple. I just want to NOT get shut-out when the 25th Anniv coins come out in about an hour.

But that's all on me, For You . . . Take a deep breath, and have a beer, Alls Well in the coin world! Gino

Had the same thing happen to me with U.S. coins in general back in the 80's, spent the next decade concentrating on Canadian, Mexican, and Japanese coinage.