• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I feel honored yet puzzled

4 posts in this topic

by my coins appearance in the NGC Coin Explorer

Well folks,

I was googling myself this afternoon, not my real name but my beawchan handle, and I found numerous hits to include an entry for a coin I own in the new NGC Coin Explorer. The coin is a MS68RD 2006 SMS Lincoln Cent. The funny thing is that the coin is part of my 21st century set and it is paired with a 1909 (in the reverse picture slot) Lincoln to illustrate the difference in design from Brenner's original.

I like that I am so honored but I wonder why they chose to use a coin with no legitimate reverse image. They were probably just searching their database for 2006 Lincoln SMS's with pictures and stumbled on my entry, next thing you know old beawchan is immoratalized in the hallowed halls of the Google search engine. I am going to have to refine my self-search and google "beawchan NGC Coin Explorer" and see if I made the cut with any other coins.

On a totally unrelated note, I called my local coin dealer and the chopmarked trade dollar he submitted on my behalf to PCGS should be back by the beginning of next week.

Yay, my "chopmarked coins of the orient" custom set will be complete and I can move on to my "least attractive U.S. coin designs of the 20th Century" set. With apologies to those who like these designs, here is my bottom 5:

SBA Dollar

IKE Dollar

Franklin Half

Washington Quarter - Ohio or Indiana Reverse, etc. etc. etc.

Roosevelt Dime

Of course this set only includes regular issues as the ranks of ugly commemorative coins grows yearly and I don't even want to discuss the Presidential Dollars. Chuck E Cheese makes a better looking coin that that mess of a series.

I think I have ranted enough!

Cheers,

Malcolm

9651.gif

See more journals by BeawChan

If you search your handle your journals will also pop up on google/yahoo after awhile. Feels ok I guess.

To address his hatred of certain series, just don't collect those coins or wait until you can find that deal of a lifetime and get them for less than 25% of FMV. I feel alright about the president series because I was able to get the first 19 all NGC PF70UC for just over $15 a coin from ebay and who could hate anything about that.

To address hatred of certain series, just don't collect those coins or wait until you can find that deal of a lifetime and get them for less than 25% of FMV. I feel alright about the president series because I was able to get the first 19 all NGC PF70UC for just over $15 a coin from ebay and who could hate anything about that.

I don't hate any series or coin, I just find many of them rather maudlin in design. you're right SW, a lot of sets like the Prez Dollar sets and the clad statehood quarters may be available at very attractive prices in the future.

To average 15 a pop for those first 19 is amazing. Getting them slabbed, paying for postage both ways, plus insurance, has got to be more than 15.00 without even considering the value of a PF70 coin in that slab. Good Pickin!!!

Later,

Malcolm

I found several of my coins in the NGC Coin Explorer pages. I have no idea why they picked some of these; the photos are bad (taken long ago when NGC had a file size limit of 75kb which forced me to severely shrink and/or crop photos); some are nowhere near the top of the condition chart for the date.

These are in the Coin Explorer pages. There may be others.

1932 25c NGC MS-65

1947 25c NGC MS-67

1945-S NGC MS-66*

1919-D 50c NGC XF-40

1942 50c NGC MS-67

1929-D 50c NGC MS-64

1935 50c NGC MS-66

As far as series likes and dislikes, I think US circulating coin design started a downhill slide in 1932, and pretty much bottomed out by 1964. The only current issue I collect is the proof silver eagle series. I know there are lots of fans of current series out there, and some of these can be very challenging series to complete (FS Jefferson nickels, FT Roosevelt dimes in particular) but I prefer the atristry of the 1916 - 1947 period. Those classic designs were only around for a few years, while Lincoln is at 102 years and counting, Jefferson 73 years, Washington 79 years, and JFK 47 years.