• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862 S Sitting Liberty Half Dollar - Odd Date?

10 posts in this topic

On this 1862 Sitting Liberty Half I have to ask you about the date and have included a detail photo of it. As I'm sure you can see something is off- I'm not sure what it is about- do you know? the "8" seems to have been stamped or tooled somehow- and the 1 seems to have been a weak strike or some how damaged- Don't know what this is or why- mint error, over strike or what?

What do the learned ones say? Thanks

1862 S Half Dollar Sitting Liberty

1862Sobv.jpg

1862 S DATE Detail

1862Detail.jpg

1862 S Half Dollar Sitting Liberty

1862Srev.jpg

Definitely damaged and repaired. Look at the reeding below it as well. Also, look at the corresponding area on the reverse. Also, look at the area above Liberty's head, and the corresponding area on the reverse. This coin has been severely damaged multiple times, and attempted repairs.

If you just bought it, I would return it quickly.

Thank you all for the responses. I have looked at it carefully and I agree with you all that it was holed. I hadn't even looked at the reverse much but I see it now- the holes show up more pronounced in the photo.

It must have been done sometime ago and there is a definate aged feel to the patina- there are even old scratches over the plugs. I guess what I don't understand is why someone would go to that trouble since it's not all that valuable. It must have been done I would have to guess way more than fifty years ago because of circumstances. Don't worry I didn't just buy it. Why would someone go to all that work? Looks like the punch or however it was holed caused more damage on the reverse. The letters "HALD DOL." also seemed to have been worked. It would be a hard way to earn a buck.

Thanks.