• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this?

8 posts in this topic

First off, I know nothing about world coins. I received some older world coins from a relative and there were 5 that were caked with dirt and I couldn't any of it off at first. After looking around the net I found that if I soaked it in olive oil it would soften the dirt and should come off, so after doing that I can see the coins however this is the only one light enough to see anything in a photo.

So, what is it? I don't have any books to look at but hopefully someone knows. I'm guessing it is from the Europe area considering the person who gave it to me but I may be wrong.

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

Never seen anything quite like it, which would make me think its post 1000 AD. Just a guess, but I'd say some type of token. You need to let it soak in olive oil for at least a few months. Got to have patience. You can GENTLY use an old soft toothbrush every few weeks to reveal more and more.

If you soaked it that long, you got all the detail you are going to with that method. The tootbrush might help. If you aren't worried about the patina or don't care about the patina soaking it in lemon juice overnight will strip all the crud away and we'll see a lot more detail. Personally, I wouldn't do that. There is a yahoogroup, Moneta-L that you can join and post the picture to in their file secion. You'll certainly get an answer then.

It it weren't for the reverse, I'd say late Roman, 400 AD or so based on the style of the tunic the guy is wearing. But I've never seen a reverse on a Roman coin like that. I'd still lean tribal copy, but I just don't know. If you find out, please keep us updated. In hand, can you make out any of the letters around the edge?