• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF is the Mint Doing? posted by SPHansen

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The price for the 25th Anniversary set is jumping all over the place!

The Mint is doing some crazy things lately... first the price for the 25th anniversary set was set at 229.95, then I see a post that it is 299.95, and now the site has TBD with no price at all. What are they doing??? Silver is still hovering around $30 and ounce, and has actually dropped a bit since the 229 price was set... ugh!

See more journals by SPHansen

In anticipation of the release, I have been following the set on the US Mint site... just a few days ago, it was set at $229... and I had the funds prepared in advance. Then, tonight I saw a post about ti being $299 and popped back onto the site to see for myself, because that's a big jump, especially since silver prices had dipped down a little... and its back to TBD again.

Their ensuring the American People, for whose benefit they operate, are given a reasonable profit. They would be remiss if they set the price too low or too high given the volatility of Silver. On the plus side, they will sell out so fast, regardless of the price, that any changes to the price after the price is initially set will be unneeded.

The mint never actually set the price at $229.95. That price was shown in one place on their website (I believe it was an error by someone copying info from the 5 oz. ATB coins), but the website also showed the price as "TBD" in other places at the same time.

I expected the price to wind up around $300, unless there was some wild swing in silver prices. The pricing on the other ASE products (proof version, $60; unc version - $50) suggests a price of at least $270 for a set with two proof coins and three non-proof coins. So $300 sounds about right, and I expect an immediate sellout of the 100k sets.

Like the man said, one of our members assumed the price was $229. I was hoping he was correct, but expected pricing to be in the $350-375 range.

Consider that with the 2006 20th Anniv. Set we paid $33.33 per coin[$100] in the 3pc set, with silver in the $10-12 range. This was the price that the silver commemms were selling for.

The upcoming set is selling for $299.95, at $60 per coin- Again, about what the individual silver coins are selling for[$59.95], no additional premium for the clever box it comes in! I just hope that I don't get shut out of the sale on the 27th.