• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found a Buffalo During my Family Vacation

3 posts in this topic

But it was not of the numismatic type.

My family and I just returned from a wonderful four days on the island of Santa Catalina. As many of you may know, the island has a population of American Bison (Buffaloes) that date back to the filming of a movie called the "Vanishing Americans" based on a Zane Grey novel from 1925.

Anyway, much of the filming of the movie was done in the "outback" of Santa Catalina Island due to its rugged terrain that mimicked the American west. 14 Bison were brought to the Island to appear in the film. When the producers started running low on money toward the end of filming, they asked Mr. Wrigley, owner of the Island and Chicago Cubs Owner, if they could leave the Bison. Mr. Wrigley said yes, and the Bison have thrived. Their current population is around 200 after some recent thinning. The pose in the picture reminds me of the Buffalo Nickel.

Cheers,

Malcoml

PS- despite bringing the Bison to the Island, the Bison never made the final cut of the film. In other words, a total waste of money.

9624.JPG

See more journals by BeawChan

Wow, that does look like the one on the nickel!

I thought when I came into this thread it was going to be about a coin,

but I don't think I'm alone on that ;)