• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Determine When NGC Slabbed a Coin?

4 posts in this topic

The official line is that this information is proprietary. hmmmm????

here's why it can be important:

NGC opened its doors in1987, but did not give PL or DPL designations until 2002. if I'm looking at an NGC coin which looks PL or DPL, I have toi ask myself: Is this a post 2002 slabbed coin that missed the grade, or is it a pre-2002 coin that would get the bump if re-submitted.

anyone???

Get to know the various styles of plastic slabs and inserts. That information should allow you to answer your own question.

The PL and DPL designations have been available for ALL U.S. coins since March of 2003 as is described here .

From a 2002 release from NGC here it says that the DPL and PL designations are available for "Morgan Dollars and selected other coin types". It doesn't specify all of the "other coin types".

There are no-line-fattie holders of Morgans (that date from around 1995 or earlier) that have the PL designation, so the statement that the PL was not used until 2002 is not correct. Below is an example. Maybe someone can offer more specifics, but it is definitely the case that 2002 is not the start of PL or DPL (at least not for Morgans and some "other" coin types").

116460.jpg.8a42a15cd156900a4315335ca5ecb0e7.jpg