• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best photography method to display coins online?

22 posts in this topic

G'day to all.

As the subject infers, what is the most suitable way to photograph coins for online display?

I notice some coins have excessive glare, images reflected in coins, etc... I am working with a digital camera and understand this is not the best equipment, but how can one make the most of it? (i.e.: natural light, backgrounds to lay raw coins, etc...)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

By the way, I DO like the title of this forum! :acclaim:

Welcome to the neighborhood, Crystal!

I would probably be the last person to offer any advice on this subject, so I shall defer to the others. We have a lot of good photographers here who might offer suggestions.

Chris

I don't know probably alot. I just placed the highest bid in history for a certain MS 63 and I was OUTBID by a new record holder! I am a bit ticked off!! But I wil not pay above or equal to MS 64 money for 63 coin........unfeasible. Although, I have done it once or twice in the past but not this time, as it is NOT really a good idea, unless you are VERY serious about upgrading (crackout or regrade), as some people are. Just thought that I'd share this experience. :boo:

CrystalSky,

I was wondering the same thing myself! I tried a few test pics and they just didn't turn out nearly as well as I hoped ... or ... perhaps the pictures are great and my coins aren't as good as I thought! lol

Seriously, I know that a high resolution pic is necessary, preferably taken on a tripod, but I think proper lighting is the most important aspect. I once heard that using a few tensor lamps to reduce shadows without washing the color out too much are typically used .

Wendy

I think using a tripod with optimal daylight is working best so far. I've been experimenting with different lighting and the I'm almost tempted to set up in the backyard for the best lighting. Cloudy days are best - no glare!

Have a feeling it's more of a hit and miss - 50 tries, 2 good photos. At this rate shooting two or three coins a day will take a while. :taptaptap:

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I did find a couple useful links - will take a while to read through it, but looks like everything is explained here:

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjgcoins.htm

http://www.mkdigitaldirect.com/tips/coin_photography_tips.html

I think using a tripod with optimal daylight is working best so far. I've been experimenting with different lighting and the I'm almost tempted to set up in the backyard for the best lighting. Cloudy days are best - no glare!

Have a feeling it's more of a hit and miss - 50 tries, 2 good photos. At this rate shooting two or three coins a day will take a while. :taptaptap:

Thanks for the link to the other thread.

I did find a couple useful links - will take a while to read through it, but looks like everything is explained here:

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjgcoins.htm

http://www.mkdigitaldirect.com/tips/coin_photography_tips.html

Nearly all of the photos I've seen taken in existing daylight have been terrible. Shane, aka Kryptonitecomics, is a member here and he sells a lot on eBay. I think he uses the GE Reveal bulbs, and his photos are pretty good. You should take a look at his site.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kryptonitecomics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984

Chris

You see, you are able to chip in and help. Thank you! :takeit:

Yes, I see the difference between Shane's photos and mine. Back to the drawing board and shopping for the GE Reveal Bulbs. Let's see how that works.

I have a large collection from my mom and they've been sitting around for years gathering dust. I finally decided to sort through and photograph them, so it's the beginning of the learning process for me.

Mom was a pretty avid and savvy collector and it's been a refresher coarse in the intricacies of grading, etc...

First, I want to photograph and identify as much as possible, so getting the lighting down is the primary objective. I put four coins up on eBay as a test and got one bid almost immediately. Most of the silver I have is not worth the hassle of selling, but rather let it sit and wait for silver to hit $50+ ( :blahblah: ) or for missing collection pieces.

I started my career as a jeweller at the ripe old age of 15 - the days when the $32 gold standard existed.

You're letting on more than you should, but I'm an old fart of 64.

After you have taken more photos, if you get a chance, post some on the "Numismatic General" forum and let others critique them. You should get a better response there. That is, except on the weekends. A lot of the members give up their rocking chairs for the coin shows.

Chris

Did you take the photos of your '82 Morgan with a camera or scanner? I ask because it doesn't seem to have any luster which is not uncommon for scans. If they were taken with a camera, then it appears that the coin has been dipped a few too many times, thereby destroying the lustrous effect.

Like I said, I'm not the best photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a couple of photos (not scans) showing how the luster will appear.

Chris

116502.jpg.0d5b372ed261f86b2990babe9b6ef43e.jpg

116503.jpg.0dcfb7431804481d347ca83afe41ced8.jpg

116504.jpg.a55f3dec86590de12d3397780c4dd647.jpg

116505.jpg.9521255cabd43ce13a2b1dfb8b3b9da9.jpg

Did you take the photos of your '82 Morgan with a camera or scanner? I ask because it doesn't seem to have any luster which is not uncommon for scans. If they were taken with a camera, then it appears that the coin has been dipped a few too many times, thereby destroying the lustrous effect.

Like I said, I'm not the best photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but here are a couple of photos (not scans) showing how the luster will appear.

Chris

With a camera in daylight only. The coin has never been dipped and it is just a plain lousy shot.

The coin has almost zero surface scratches, a very nice luster, but has 4 nicks at the bottom of the coin. I chose that particular coin because it is a beautiful coin, but I can't capture it on camera.

That's why I don't like photos taken in existing daylight. The light is actually coming from all around and it washes out the appearances of the coin. It's better taking the photos in a room where the primary source of illumination is two or three lamps.

Chris

Crystal,

There is a ton of information on this site about taking photos of coins. I had started a posting some time ago to help improve the photos I am able to take. If you are interested to see the progress I had made, the link is here .

There has been a time or two that I have taken pictures outdoors while I was living in Florida. Below is an example of how the natural sunlight combined with a good camera angle had benefited my efforts. This is not always the case, but with the coin below, the sunlight was able to show off the coins coloring exactly as it looks in hand when tilted various angles.

SSA50151.jpg

SSA50142.jpg

As stated prior by Chris (cmp9ball), the use of a scanner can at times make a coin look horrible. Again I will say "at times" as I have seen others that have done extremely well with a scanner, just not myself lol . Below is an example of a medal I imaged on a scanner.

SanFranCommenReverse.jpg

SanFranCommen.jpg

Chris,

Certainly glad I am getting this out of the way before I start cataloguing everything and I am jealous of your photos! :blush:

Thank you for the link to the other thread. I have to get a couple of clip on lights and rods and set up an area, otherwise it is going to be sheer frustration.

I took these today and clearly not that great, but continuing to experiment:

http://url.bg/gallery.php?id=7cb7098719e0da2b931b162119e0d60b

I'll get it right... eventually. :)

CS

From looking at the latest photos you had done, I would say add a bit more light (you can adjust the white balance on the camera after getting new lights to make the coin look more so like it does in person) and use a tripod (I'm guessing that to be the cause of the slight blur, if you are using one, try backing the camera away a couple of inches)

Taking good photos of coins can prove to be very difficult. I really dont consider myself that great at them as of yet, and there are others such as a member named Messydesk on here that do a much better job at it than I do. But it has been interesting for me on the progression path.

Here is another site that has a lot of useful information as well. The site listed below has a lot of technical information on how to take pictures of coins along with examples for each lighting style.

Coin Photography by Mark Goodman

I use a combination of a diffused Speedlite plus bounced light off a white wall from a color corrected bulb. Camera (old Canon 20D from 2004 with a 100mm macro lens) mounted to a Kaiser copy stand.

As seen here in a horrible cellphone photo...

bouncedlight.jpg

This method will produce photos like this...

1900France20FMS65-1.jpg

I have tried to take pictures here for a month or so. I wish I could afford the services of some one like messydeck because his pictures are very very nice. The rates are fair I just can't pay that!

It's been very hard for me. One thing I figured out after comments from the board etc. was that my camera was just inadequate. I bought a new one but I have to learn to run it first.

The first thing I would say is figure out if your camera is adequate. It does no good to keep trying if the camera is not adequate. The light is very important as these experienced people are telling you. I would say that the flash is poor to use. You need to also get close to the coin.

It's so much easier to scan but it does not capture the feel of the coin.

These are my my very juvenile lessons I have learned as a entry lever experienced photographer. One rule in life I try and follow is not to buy a lot of equipment until you know what you want.

I am interested in the advice people give and the links I see. Thanks to all for contributing.

Really nice Rooster!

I have a bunch of French 20F's that I want to photgraph (hense my intrest in this thread), but I am wondering if it is worth the cost to have them graded. Is there any place one can find survival estimates for Eurpoean gold?

Wendy