• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade Dollar Hub Chart

15 posts in this topic

There's a third obverse; I forget the key diagnostics, but I think it had the fingers of one and the ribbon end of the other type.

John Pack showed it to me. I even mentioned it to Kleinman, but he indicated that he already knew of it.

There's a third obverse; I forget the key diagnostics, but I think it had the fingers of one and the ribbon end of the other type.

John Pack showed it to me. I even mentioned it to Kleinman, but he indicated that he already knew of it.

This is the coin you are referring to. I don't know if it is so much a 3rd Obv hub type as it looks like the finger was cut into the working die. For what reason Iis not known at this time but it could have been a trail die put into service or a make shift attemp to update it after the mandate to go to the 2nd type. Besides there are a half dozen lesser hub differences through the series run. Here is a thread that I started on the 3rd type.

1876 type 1T/2

1876%204finger.jpg

Matching the date to the chart is one of the easiest ways to detect counterfeits. For example, it doesn't matter which date the coin has on it-- you'll NEVER find a type II obverse matched with a type I reverse.