• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Desination?

10 posts in this topic

Did NGC change the star desination rules? I was told awhile back that they did not give it to any coin past 1977 and while looking through the pop charts for the SBA series and I now see a star coin from 1981?? What gives? Did they change the rules in the last few months? or is this some sorta mistake?

They definitely changed the rules at some point, because they used to give state quarters the star designation as well. For some reason they chose not to mention it to anyone until someone asked. I wasted several designation reviews trying to get stars on outstanding state quarters! makepoint.gif

I was thinking that they went thr other way with it... The pop charts used to be empty for the SBA series with stars.. now there is a star

Sure would be nice if NGC would extend this designation a little more. How about extending it to:

1) Foreign coins. I know when I asked about this a year ago Ken said he didn't think the demand was there. Given the premiums I've seen for attractively toned foreign coins, I have to think this has changed. Besides, NGC should be proactive on these issues.

2) Coins below MS63. I agree with John Maben that mint state coins below MS63 rarely come with exceptional eye appeal. However, just because the designation would be very rarely used doesn't mean it shouldn't be used at all. There are monster toned coins in low MS slabs.

3) Circulated coins. John stated that for circulated coins there are middle grades (VF25, EF45) to reflect the exception eye appeal. While this is true, I know I would rather have a * designation than an extra grade bump. I doubt I would buy an early copper in VF25 without seeing it in person. However, I'd buy a VF20* without seeing it. I'd know it has a nice planchet and attractive look. The VF25 could have been an XF40 with slight porosity or a light cleaning.

4) Modern proofs and modern coins graded MS69. Why not allow the * designation. I understand most coins of this era are superb, but some are better than others. There are quite a few monster toned silver commems. A few are even naturally toned. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The way I read it, ALL Contemporary coins, even currently dated ones are eligible for the STAR other than the MS69/PR69 grade.

So, if you have an MS68 State quarter that is exceptional, it qualifies for the STAR.

Am I reading it correctly?

So the way I read it is that if you have a 1979 or later PF or MS 68 coin you can get a star... but if you coin grades higher(MS or PF 69/70 you have no chance at a star? Mabye I am missing something?

The star designation was extended to all modern issues (except 69's/70's) when that article was writen (and many state quarters and other modern issues received stars), but recently, some of the NGC people have stated that it only applies to pre 1977-1978 coinage. This means they must have changed the rules after this star designation article was written.

I am thinking that the rule is now they include all the coinage...but proof/MS 69 and 70... Mabye I can get a PF 68 Star in stead of a PF 69 smile.gif