• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading of Brilliant Uncirculatedhttp://boards.collectors-society.com/images/ico

4 posts in this topic

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It is my understanding that MS60 is the lowest grade of the UNC class of grades. Below that grade would be considered About Uncirculated AU50 thru AU59. So my question is, why would NGC give a grade of Brilliant Uncirculated without a number instead of MS60 etc.?

• Administrator

You are correct. MS60 is the lowest grade of Uncirculated. About Uncirculated goes up to AU58; there is no AU59.

A grade of Brilliant Uncirculated from NGC means that the coin meets the minimum requirements for a Mint State 60 coin. It could be higher, but it would never be lower. We also use Gem Uncirculated for coins that meet a minimum grade of MS65. These adjectival grades are used for certain bulk submissions when requested by a dealer. For some modern issues some dealers prefer the most basic grade and do not care about having a more precise numeric grade.

All regular submissions, assuming the coin is genuine and problem-free, will receive a numeric grade instead of an adjectival grade like "Brilliant Uncirculated."

Thank you for the question.

that being said, can a coin slabbed uncirculated be resubmitted for a numerical grade by its new owner?? if so is it considered a grade review if in a NGC hOLDER

• Administrator

Yes, a coin graded Uncirculated may be submitted again for a numerical grade. You should check off the applicable tier and "regrade".

Thank you for the question.