• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1909 S Lincoln Cent

14 posts in this topic

A 1909-S Lincoln cent is not the easiest coin to authenticate from a scan because the mint market needs to be examined with a strong glass to make sure that it is genuine.

It would appear that this coin is genuine and it Mint State with some red. I can't say if it has enough red to an R&B or a brown. The reverse looks to have woodgrain toning so I'm guessing brown. The number grade appears to be in the MS-64 range.

This is the kind of coin that must be certified to get the best price for it.

I can't really tell how many hits there are from the size of those pics, but I will guess a very nicely toned MS64+ BN to be safe.

It looks a little redder "live." It is genuine for sure- I might try a photo tonight.

I am going to get it graded and will come back with the grade whenever I get it.

My aunt or grandmother collected that I'd say well before 1968 and she never bought a coin from a dealer or went to a coin show- they all came from bank rolls or out of change from my Grandfather's business so I doubt very much it's not genuine. I have another similar one I will take pic of some time except the reverse has a bad bad- sad sad. If I can find somebody that just wanted to look at the obverse that would be their coin.

Looks mint state but I would look at those surfaces VERY CLOSELY

Yes, I cannot tell if there is wear on that coin - the reverse looks a little suspicious.

I'm having a very hard time getting good pics of these with the RB kind of speckled- I might try again tonight- I tried to scan a second one and it was pretty much a disaster.

here is a link to some information about the mintmark and designers initials of the 1909 S VDB cent.

GNA Journal Summer 2009

From the picture in Figure 5 on page 5, you can see that the top of the mint mark sould be running parrallel with the bottoms of the 9's and you should see a die chip on the mintmark as well as described on the same page spoken of above.. At a recent PCCC meeting they had a discussion about the cent which the speaker had made claims that the mint mark and/or the designers intitials were being added to the 1909 cents as far back as 1912.

I honestly hope it is genuine, but as I said before, if the mint mark is angled that much in relation to how it shows in the picture at the beginning of this thread, I have some doubts.

-Chris#2

Wow thanks for that link- I will definately check it out- I'm going to get it graded so we will see- I know the history as I said so I doubt very much it is not genuine but I clearly don't have your level of expertise. JS

Hi Gang- thanks for all of the comments-

Got the grade today from the NGC grading gods-

1909 S LINCOLN 1C UNC DETAILS IMPROPERLY CLEANED

So looks like I'm OK on the mint mark issue- don't get the cleaning detail but I guess I can't complain about UNC-

I'm learning. Thanks for your interest. JS